Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 05:17 AM

Default 7.50 big stack confrontation

Comments on all streets (especially the flop and turn).

Bodog 7.50. Blinds 600/1200 with 150 ante. I have ~t60k, big stack at the tournament. We're just ITM with ~50 players remaining. My image is ubertight as the table has been way too loose.

Big stack villain in the hand has been loose/passive. Don't know much about SB, so probably pretty tight.

Other big stack (t50k) limps in CO, which is common.
Button (t30k) limps
SB (t20k) completes
I (t60k) check with Q8o.

POT = t6k
FLOP: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets 1200 (min)
I call
Other big calls
Button folds

POT = t10k
TURN: (7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks
Hero bets t4k
Other big calls
SB folds

POT = t18k
RIVER: TURN: (7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero????
Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Re: 7.50 big stack confrontation

Pot the turn. Fold if re-raised. If called, check the riv with fold/re-raise AI if he bets.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 AM

Under ordinary circumstances, though I don't much like doing it, I'd bet 9k here to keep an aggressive villain from bluffing the ace. But given your read, I think that there is a good chance he will check behind, and with 2nd pair, weak kicker, that seems like a good result.

I suppose you could value bet and hope he calls with his pair of nines, but I'd feel pretty dumb if he raised or flipped over A9 or an ignorant str8.

Sam

P.S. If you check, and he bets...I guess I give him credit for the ace. People just love Ax.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:55 PM

I checked (thoughts?) and villain bet t10k.

Call or fold?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:01 PM

By checking the river, it's almost an automatic bluff situation for him. I would have led out the river, and then possibly thought about folding if he put in a substantial re-raise. Although A-9 or A-7 does fit your villain's range of hands, yours still figures to be best, but any weakness shown by you will definitely induce a bluff, as the case was.