Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 08:03 PM

Default BB steals: opening up against loose defenders

Against a player who folds his blinds to steals more than 50% of the time, you can steal with as much as possible so that you are still "under the radar" (i.e., he doesn't notice and adjust).

Against a player who nevers folds his blinds, you can steal with the top X% of hands that show a profit against a random hand, after accounting for rake, dead money, etc.

So, against a player who folds his blinds an intermediate amount, say 50%, you must tighten up on your blind steals. An interesting consequence: you have a non-monotonic range of steal hands.

So against someone who folds >50% of the time in the BB, you steal with almost anything, but ditch the lowest Y% that don't have enough equity against his calling range except for super special flops.

Against people who call enough to deny you profit, you play the top X% of hands that have +EV against their calling range, accounting for rake and the dead $$. By giving them good preflop odds, you are enticing them to play worse hands against you, which is what you want.

Thus, against these "good defenders", I think it is correct to steal with a wider range of hands against people who are looser in the blinds..

I see this as no different than iso-raising. It's like a wraparound iso-raise.

Comments?

P.S. I put this here because the theory forum doesn't like me, and blind steals are very important in HUSH.