Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Q\'s in 1/2 NL shorthanded. played right?

Full Tilt Poker Game #321681956: Table Lamb (6 max) - $1/$2 - No Limit Hold'em - 10:06:23 ET - 2005/12/05
Seat 1: Hero ($175.85)
Seat 2: xxxxxx ($172.35)
Seat 3: xxxxxx ($241.85)
Seat 4: Villain ($208.25)
Hero posts the small blind of $1
xxxxxx posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Qd Qh]
xxxxxx folds
Villain raises to $7
Hero raises to $15
xxxxxx folds
Villain calls $8
*** FLOP *** [5c Qc Ks]
Hero bets $20
Villain to $40
Hero to $100
Villain calls $60
*** TURN *** [5c Qc Ks] [2c]
Hero bets $60.85, and is all in
Villain calls $60.85
Hero shows [Qd Qh]
Villain shows [8c Kc]
*** RIVER *** [5c Qc Ks 2c] [6d]
Hero shows three of a kind, Queens
Villain shows a flush, King high
Villain wins the pot ($351.70) with a flush, King high

Because the flop is so prone to draws, I'm in a really tough spot. I could have just called the raise on the flop and bet out when a safe card landed on the turn. The problem is that hands like AJ or A10 and sometimes J10 will be folded to the second raise. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

~Bux
Old 12-05-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Q\'s in 1/2 NL shorthanded. played right?

Next time don't min-raise pre-flop. Make it $25-$30 to go. 3-bet push the flop. Villain has okay real odds ($60 to win $190) and implied odds to call you. I don't think you avoid getting stacked here.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM

A pot-sized raise after villain's raise to $40 is $130, which is close enough to pushing. One could argue a push is correct on that drawy of a board.

If you don't want to push, I wouldn't reraise the flop. Push on a safe turn. The way you played it, you don't have enough to fold him on a safe turn.

If my math is right, he still made a mistake on the flop. Prior to his last call, the pot is $170 with him to call $60. You have $60 behind. He's effectively calling $60 with the intention of winning $230, a little less than 4:1. His odds of hitting the turn are about 4.5:1.

He just got lucky.

Edit: and what 4_2_it said - poopoo on your minraise. Making a decent reraise easily gets it all in on the flop.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:57 AM

Just stick it in there.. A threebet would probably fold out weak hands like a pair of kings no matter the size and you are only giving villain good odds + implied odds by not pushing.

When you reraise PF you show very much strength thus revealing a strong hand. Villain knows this and now because you minraised he is getting better odds to make a better-than-onepair-hand on the flop or maybe a strong draw. If I'm minraising preflop I do it with low PPs and SCs. the reason I sometimes to that is because the way I interpret minraises from others PF.. I think of them as donks who wants to extract value from their AA not realizing they are giving better implied odds. Thus when I minreraise PF (If this fits my tableimage) my FE dramaticly increases and I have a potential well concealed monster.

Therefore.. if you are deciding to reveal your hand, you should make anyone pay hard to see a flop so that their implied odds vanish