Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Front Office coaching decisions in the NFL...

As I was watching the MNF between the Colts/Steelers they put of a graphic of how the Steelers have had only 2 coaches since 1969, and how Cowher has been there for 14 years now. As I read think I thought to myself that the steelers have always been at least average during that span. However, there are plenty of teams that have had numerous coaches over that same time period.

In the NFL lately have their coaches on a very short lease and they get fired after 2 or 3 losing seasons or even in some cases after just 1. So do you think the Steelers have the right idea of sticking with the same guy over a klong period of time knowing that he will at least keep you at an average level in the NFL or is it better to continually switch coaches and schemes from 3 years period to 3 year period.

Furthermore, should we maybe start to praise Cowher more as he has been able to keep the same team competive for 14 years now while there have been plenty of coaches who have failed in their 3rd or 4th season to put up the same results Cowher has, or even someone like BRian Billick who has done a pretty good job but this year his team has been terrible and everyone is alraedy assuming he will get fired.

So do you think there is merit to the consitensy of having the same coach over that period of time always using the same system and schemes. It seem like the team would be much more prepared to play when some of the players have been running the same plays for their whole careers. Just something that I started thinking abotu and figured it would be a good discussion topic.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Front Office coaching decisions in the NFL...

Cowher is a great coach (despite the onside kick [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ), but his longevity has just as much to do with the Steelers ownership as it does with his ability as a coach.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cowher is a great coach (despite the onside kick [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ), but his longevity has just as much to do with the Steelers ownership as it does with his ability as a coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree, but what do you think is the better strategy for the Front office to take? The one the Steelers did or the one every other team in the NFL has taken?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:35 PM

If you have a Belichick or Gruden, go with the long-term strategy.

If you have Fontes and Mornhinweg, go with the carousel.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree, but what do you think is the better strategy for the Front office to take? The one the Steelers did or the one every other team in the NFL has taken?

[/ QUOTE ]

The one the Steelers have? You mean, like the Saints have?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:24 PM

How many pro coaches,in any sport, have gone close to 14 years without ever winning a league championship and kept their job? He's a good caoch, but I would be ready to move in a different direction if I was running the Steelers.

Bill
Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 PM

You're saying Bill Cowher is a bad coach because he never the Super Bowl?

.600+ winning percentage.
Eight division titles.
A conference championship.

Yeah, firing him is really, really smart, if the owners were Bengals fans.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:43 PM

I said he was a good coach, (reread my post), but if he was going to win a super bowl in pittsburgh it would have happened already.If you want to win a super bowl before 2020, he must go. But if your happy with just making the playoffs give him a lifetime deal.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said he was a good coach, (reread my post), but if he was going to win a super bowl in pittsburgh it would have happened already.If you want to win a super bowl before 2020, he must go. But if your happy with just making the playoffs give him a lifetime deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as a coach who cant win the big game because he isnt capable. There have been plenty of mediocre coaches who have won superbowls or even gotten to them because the talent is just so strong. The difference between a good coach and a crap one is that a good coach can take average talent and do something with it, while a bad coach cant really do much with average talent.

How quickly people forget that the Raiders played the Bucks in a superbowl. Do you guys honestly think Calahan(sp?) was better than the coaches of the teams he beat in the playoffs?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:47 PM

Bill's a couple absolute QB meltdowns from like two rings I think.