Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 05:28 AM

Default A total Donkey AK?

I'm having a hard time playing AK when facing resistance. Actually, I'm mainly having a hard time letting go of AK facing resistance like the total donkey I am. How was the hand played.

I know Villian 1 (68.48/43.48/2.38 over 100 hands)To be Extremely bad, and know he will put money in the pot and make calls with absolute garbage. Villian 2 (18.86/4.0/1.78 Over 175 hands), I am less sure of and have not seen them do anything out of the ordinary.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($288)
BB ($312.80)
UTG ($81.20)
UTG+1 (Villian 2)/ ($356.30)
MP1 (Villian 1)/ ($102.35)
MP2 ($188)
MP3 ($87.70)
CO ($126)
Hero ($290)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (Villian 2) calls $2, MP1 (Villian 1) raises to $8</font>, 2 folds</font>, CO calls $8, Hero calls $8, 2 folds</font>, UTG+1 (Villian 2) calls $6.

Flop: ($35) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)</font>
Villian 2 checks, Villian 1 checks, CO checks, Hero bets $33</font>, Villian 2 calls $33, Villian 1 calls $94.35 (All-In), CO folds, Hero calls $249 (All-In), Villian 2 calls $249.

Turn: ($693.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($693.35) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $693.35

I put Villian 2 on a flush draw when he just called, when Villian one moved in, I had no idea what he could be on since I had seen him make incredibly stupid plays in the past For all I know he could have had 33 here. Is just calling Villian 1's reraise an option in this scenario?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: A total Donkey AK?

This looks fine, considering your reads, particularly:
[ QUOTE ]
I had no idea what he could be on since I had seen him make incredibly stupid plays in the past For all I know he could have had 33 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you just call the flop c/r, you give Villian 2 fat odds to draw.

Seems pretty unlikely that Villian 2 has a big hand, here. Would he really just check/call the flop on that board with a monster? I say it's worth the gamble to isolate on the donk. If he had a set... well, nh.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had a set... well, nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response. As you could probably tell from the tone of my post this is exactly what he had. I'm glad to know I should just trust my reads, and I'm not crazy making a move like this.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:42 AM

I'd like comments on this from people that actually know what they're doing, but why not re-raise preflop? You get HU with villain 1, who is raising a hand whose ass you have kicked 99% of the time here, and probably keep villain 2 from getting in the hand and hitting a set.

As played, I really don't like villain 2's flop call. Against most players I do exactly what you did, but from someone as tight as villain 2, flat-calling a PSB when he knows there's a maniac to act behind him scares me and says "monster" a lot more than it says "flush draw." I honestly don't know what I do here...between pushing, flat-calling villain 1's push (and then facing a push from villain 2, either immediately or on turn), and folding, I feel crappy no matter what.