Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Turn 3 bet

I have 450 hands on villain at 12.6/8.9/3.18

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>
Old 11-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Turn 3 bet

flop: you maybe win the pot by betting so i like the bet

turn: like the bet but when youre c/r you are most probably behind. The only card you can feel good about on the river is a 2 that is not a spade. Since the pot is small i might fold this one since youre not getting the right pot odds to call to a draw that may not even be a winning one.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop: you maybe win the pot by betting so i like the bet

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also important to realize that a very significant amount of the time QTip is the only one with a pair, and hence his bet is for value. That flop is a pretty good one for 44, actually.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:01 PM

Why the 3 bet? I'm not saying it's wrong, but I don't understand it.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think because Q thinks his hand is good a high percentage of the time, wants to charge a semi-bluff, has outs for those times that he's behind, and has the option of taking a free showdown in position and so gets to see a showdown this way for the same 3 BB.

That about right, Q?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:04 PM

Hmm. I guess we probably would have heard from a flush draw on the flop. If that's the case, then the turn card shouldn't have made Villain's hand, unless he has pocket 3's. We could be up against a checkraise semibluff with a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. A slowplayed hand like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or 66 is also possible, though.

Anyway, I'm guessing your plan is to take a free showdown on the river, if checked to. This works fine if you're up against a draw and, if you just called now, Villain would give up and check that draw on the river after missing. But how many players, after just getting called, follow up a turn checkraise with a river check-fold?

I guess I'm saying if you are facing a semi-bluff, I'm not sure you need to charge it now. There's a good chance it'll become a pure bluff on the river, if Villain doesn't catch.

I think in this case the 3-bet would work best against a pure bluff 6-outer that Villain might actually dump. But how likely is that to be what Villain has, really?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think because Q thinks his hand is good a high percentage of the time, wants to charge a semi-bluff, has outs for those times that he's behind, and has the option of taking a free showdown in position and so gets to see a showdown this way for the same 3 BB.

That about right, Q?

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me. I'd never think to do it on my own, though.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:12 PM

I think it's a slight edge, good play, but does not really increase your EV by that much. What are you going to do if a brick falls on the river and he donks? What is a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]falls? What if he caps?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:14 PM

I think the basis of this play is that he's probably pretty unlikely to get capped, but if he does get capped he has to call to draw to his straight outs.

In general, though, the idea behind the play is that the three-bet is pretty much the last bet we want to put into the pot.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In general, though, the idea behind the play is that the three-bet is pretty much the last bet we want to put into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does [ QUOTE ]
if he does get capped he has to call to draw to his straight outs.

[/ QUOTE ] make the play incorrect, then? That was my main problem with it; that we have to call a cap, and may have to call a river bet when we improve to a hand that may end up being a loser.

-McGee