Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Small Stakes Logic-Against LAP\'s and LAG\'s

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but like I said I'm new to this forum so I wouldn't know one way or the other. I have been recently playing the .25-.50 games on party 6-max, and as you all know the play there is reckless and full of maniacs. my question would be what is the optimal strategy in these games and against these type of players? for instance (sorry i dont have any specific hands yet but i will soon get pokerttracker and be able to post them), but anyway for example i have had 7-8 suited or hands like A-J after a raise from a guys who raise every other hand, and i often wonder whats the optimal strategy to play against these guys. do you enter the pot with these marginal hands and try and outplay them, or wait for monsters and make them pay u off. also, how often should u pre-flop raise since ur likely to get 2 or 3 callers most of the time. you obviously can't bluff all that much either since these guys can't lay down anything when you attempt to semi-bluff a flush draw or something. its hard to wait and be patient at 6-max though because obviously the blinds go around quicker. any advice or links to threads on this topic would be helpful, i couldn't find anything in the search engine.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes Logic-Against LAP\'s and LAG\'s

blinds dont really go around much quicker. PPL pay off your AA KK and hit sets when you get em. I win playing 21/7 although im gonna work on that PFR number, hopefully get it up to 10.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:48 PM

set mining is never a bad idea. But once you improve your skills/reads you can lower your calling standard considerably. Maniac = ATMs. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 05:58 PM

Game selection is key. Deciding what hands to play against the lunes is highly dependent on several other variables, such as whether you can get them to fold preflop or postflop. If I am playing a nut, I usually like to reraise with position, preferably with junk (ie SC, SOG) as opposed to a hand with reverse implied odds like A10, AJ. If they autobet any flop and call any raise, this obviously is not the best strategy. You have to go with what works. Against complete maniacs, or if there are multiple maniacs at a table that jam every pot and respect none of your raises, I just leave the table. I don't want to have to sit around waiting for a hand and I prefer to be the aggressor. If you are always being played back at and the villain never folds, you just have to sit around and wait for a hand, which is kinda boring.