Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:53 PM

Default popularity of our livelyhood?

sorry for an out-of-place post if I'm guilty.

How does everyone feel about the future of our sport?

On the pro level, not world class but pro, how long will the fish put up with it. I've heard that gambking addicts and sex addicts have the highest suicide rates, are we going to lose the meal ticket from attrition alone?

Seriously, where is this ride going?

Cambraceres
Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: popularity of our livelyhood?

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that gambling addicts and sex addicts have the highest suicide rates, are we going to lose the meal ticket from attrition alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'm qualified to talk about the future of the professional poker world as a whole but most of your fish aren't gambling addicts. They're recreational players who enjoy the game and don't mind losing the money. Treat them with the respect they deserve and I'm sure most of them will keep playing for years.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:02 PM

Unfortunately, I can only predict the stock market's future, not poker's.

Adam
Old 11-29-2005, 06:44 PM

Well, I think back in October, Dr. Schoonmaker had an article (I think in cardplayer mag which you can find online) about what a poker player will need to do to adapt his game when all the fish have been eaten. If I recall, He didn't put an estimate on the date, but figured by the end of the decade give or take the poker boom will bust.

I Read in either the News, Views, and Gossip forum or the WPT forum that the WSOP ME ratings were down 20%. Over exposure?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:12 PM

Always new fish, always new recreational players. It will get tougher and tougher though, I guess. But when you play fulltime you are also learning, so it is not certain that it will feel tougher and tougher.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:32 PM

If the poker gamblers are anything like the UK's then there's no way you will run out of losing players.

The bookmakers in the UK have been turning huge profits for almost 50yrs and still have full shops everyday.

The same people come back to bet on horses and dogs everytime a pay cheque appears in their bank account and they're not winning very often.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:37 PM

Vegas is still here.

With any job, do it because you like the work and lifestyle. Money will work itself out. I learned that the hard way.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the replies, helpful.

Look I got a star!

oops

Cambraceres
Old 11-29-2005, 09:37 PM

Maybe poker won't be as popular in a few years, but it will still be good for a pro i think. Don't forget, poker is huge with high school/college kids, and most of them don't have money to throw online. Wait until they get jobs and make good money, and they will be online (and most of them won't be good.)
Old 11-29-2005, 09:45 PM

I think someone also mentioned the popularity of card games (i.e.: Magic the gathering, Pokemon, etc..) as proof that there'd be a new wave of poker players. When the kids who play these grow up many of them will almost certainly turn to poker.