Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Where did I go wrong? (please I need feedback)

OK this was at our Poker Club tonight, it's a University club so no money is on the line, but it's taken relatively seriously by the members.

Early stages of NL Holdem tourney, blinds are 20/40; Hero (UTG), SB, and BB have relatively equal stacks at about 1500 and BB seems solid and slow played trips on the flop the hand before.

Hero is dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero calls (40), folds to SB, SB raises to 80, BB calls (40), hero calls 40 more

flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets 200, BB raises to 400, hero calls 400, SB calls 400

turn comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets 200, Hero goes all in, SB folds, BB calls after thinking for a while and shows K 3...the river is a blank

was i right to push here?...i know it's early in the tournament, but the pot was by far the biggest at the table so far and i was pretty sure he wasnt calling without a 3 or a high pair...which i didnt think he had...am i just retarded?....and if so please say so...thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Where did I go wrong? (please I need feedback)

Well, I raise pf here a lot/most of the time. I think the key decision is on the flop. You're committing a third of your stack here. At this point, BB can have anything since he was priced in pf. Take your read and go with it.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK this was at our Poker Club tonight, it's a University club so no money is on the line, but it's taken relatively seriously by the members.

Early stages of NL Holdem tourney, blinds are 20/40; Hero (UTG), SB, and BB have relatively equal stacks at about 1500 and BB seems solid and slow played trips on the flop the hand before.

Hero is dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero calls (40), folds to SB, SB raises to 80, BB calls (40), hero calls 40 more

flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets 200, BB raises to 400, hero calls 400, SB calls 400

turn comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets 200, Hero goes all in, SB folds, BB calls after thinking for a while and shows K 3...the river is a blank

was i right to push here?...i know it's early in the tournament, but the pot was by far the biggest at the table so far and i was pretty sure he wasnt calling without a 3 or a high pair...which i didnt think he had...am i just retarded?....and if so please say so...thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want honest feedback, you misplayed the hand terribly. No way you don't raise PF with 99 and, with a paired undercard and one overcard on an unraised PF hand, you can't get stuck. Raise PF to drive out that K3, and don't get into a big pot without a big hand.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:22 AM

You don`t have to raise PF (you should but if you are not comfortable playing post-flop you can only call and play for set value), if you don't raise then no bet until you hit.

Also, why would you go all-in when there'a a higher card on the turn but not on the flop??? Don't go all-in unless you have a real good hand.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 AM

limping with 99 UTG is fine ... that wasn't your big mistake.

calling the SB's preflop min-raise was fine too ... again, not a mistake but at this point, you need to start thinking about his range of hands (although a min-raise is hard to decipher).

your big mistake in the hand was ... cold-calling the BB's raise on the flop. on a paired board, the BB has raised the pre-flop raiser ... what are you putting the BB on at this point? you need to find out RIGHT NOW where you stand in this hand ... this looks like a clear-cut raise or fold situation because you don't want to get caught in between the pre-flop aggressor and the post-flop aggressor without knowing where you stand.

you can either make a modest reraise it 600 to go and fold to a re-raise from either the SB or BB (leaving you with 800 in chips ... not horrible shape with blinds still this low) ... if you're behind, the re-raise will let you know and if you're ahead, you'll have position for the rest of the hand and they'll presumably check to you and let you show down the hand cheaply.

OR you can just fold. you've only got T80 invested, it's shaping up to be a hotly contested pot, and you're sandwiched in between two aggressors with a mediocre holding (even though it's an overpair). i'd take this line and wait for a better spot ... this may seem weak but i think it's an acceptable play given the aggression thus far ... you could be folding to AK and 7x but it's just as possible that you're folding to AA/KK and 3x.

re-raising the flop is probably the weaker of the two lines because it commits so many chips to a hand you don't want to be married to.

calling is the worst play, IMO.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:22 AM

all right...thank you all for your feedback