Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Stud 8, should I have slowed down on the river?

No real read on this player. I only saw him play one hand, and he played it very strangely, only calling a raise from a low card with a K up on 3rd street, catching a suited 10, then betting out and capping the pot when his opponent started raising.

Anyways, should I have simply called the river after missing my low, given he has a pair on board, and his hand has low potential as well?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.20 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.60 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.60 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

River - (12.60 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises

Total pot: (18.60 BB)
Old 11-30-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Stud 8, should I have slowed down on the river?

I do not think I raise him back on 7th there unless he has proven to be a donk, especially because he sure isnt worried about your possible flush showing or the small possiblity you could have a 76 low. Heads up I am not sure I call him with 246J 3 suited either on 4th.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:02 PM

well, he played this pretty weird no matter what. Id be interested to hear what he actually had in that earlier hand. Its unlikely that youre beat for high, but id say that its even less likely that hes betting and raising with a worse high than yours. Most of the time I think he has the low ( and caught a 6 or lower on 7th to give him board lock on low). But theres no way i can buy the idea that he saw you cap 6th with a possible straight or flush, and then bet out with trips on the river. Just call and hope he doesnt have a boat.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:09 PM

I just noticed also he could have 3 clubs down and have a swinger. The cap on 6th could easily be a lock low with a draw to that ace flush (wheel too which doesnt matter)
Old 11-30-2005, 05:15 PM

I agree with all points made by pokeraddict besides 4th street, where in a cash game with a live flush I'm taking another card, even heads up. On 6th he's got to know you have a flush and a possible draw at a better low, so I'd put him on a boat - but since he seems maniacal maybe he has trips 8's with a low draw or an 8 low. I try not to push completely against unpredicatables or maniacs, since I can just wait them out and eventually crush them for big pots. Still you must push here on 6th but once he pushes back and you miss the low, play it conservatively and call.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 PM

After thinking about the hand a bit, I think after missing my low, a raise probably just involves taking on more risk without much benefit, since a scoop seems extremely unlikely, and he may have a full house.