Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 06:44 PM

Default time to fold nut low?

400pl deep stacks- solid utg raises, i call w/ad 2d 9h tc bb calls. flop 4h6s7s, solid checks, i pot, bb calls, solid re-pots, i call, bb folds. turn ks, solid pots, i call. river qs, solid pots i??? fold. solid shows a3kk...ugh!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: time to fold nut low?

This is one of these cases where the bet-sizes in relation to stack-sizes is very important, and you're not going to get good (ie, correct) advice without providing it. Considering that there was a PFR, a pot-raise on the flop, and a pot bet on the turn, I'd be surprised that a full-sized pot bet on the river is less than what's left in your stack. Still, heads up there I would almost never fold... all you're losing by calling is 1/4 of the final bet worst case, which isn't that much compared to what you have to gain when you chop it or miraculously get 3/4's. Also, I'm willing to pay that to see what particular opponent is quartering me with if I am indeed getting quartered.

Also, if you're looking to fold an unprotected nut low with only a gutshot to a high you can feel truly happy about, I'd try to dump on flop rather than river.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: time to fold nut low?

[ QUOTE ]
400pl deep stacks- solid utg raises, i call w/ad 2d 9h tc bb calls. flop 4h6s7s, solid checks, i pot, bb calls, solid re-pots, i call, bb folds. turn ks, solid pots, i call. river qs, solid pots i??? fold. solid shows a3kk...ugh!

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see, preflop, say UTG raises to 3.5 BB (I had reasons to believe this number given the aggressive moves made by utg on the later rounds), since u and bb called, the pot would have been 11 BBs.

On the flop, you potted and utg repotted, the pot would have been 99 BBs.

On the turn, utg potted and you called, the pot would have been 297 BBs.

On the river, utg potted again and u folded, that means utg had (3.5+44+99+297=) 443.5BB+.

If u had 100BBs left (which made your stack as deep as 246BB+), it's definitely a call since even if you got quartered, you still would had won (putting 100 to win back 125).

If you had 150BBs left (which made your stack as deep as 300BB+), it's definitely a call since even if you got quartered, you still would had tied(putting 150 to win back 150).

If you had 200 BBs left (which made your stack as deep as 350BB+), it's definitely a call since even if you got quartered, you would had lost only 25 BB(putting 200 to win back 175) but you had a chance to get half of the pot, 350 (taking the risk of losing 25 to gain 150).

If you had 300BBs left (which made your stack as deep as 450BB+), you should had already known to make other moves rather than the callings on the flop and turn, or your pretty fking lucky to make your stack that deep.