Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Showdown Raise

Pacific $2/$4

All three MPs limp and I raise on the button with JTs. Flop comes 9-high with two spades (I have clubs) and the four of us check it around. Turn card is Js and MP2 bets. I raise intending to fold if it costs anything more to see the showdown.

Scott
Old 11-27-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Showdown Raise

You have the button here. If you're so anxious to see a cheap showdown, why are you not betting the flop with two overcards?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:18 PM

1. Pre-flop is sweet.

2. I like a flop bet:

a. We actually have a reasonable amount of equity, as we have a backdoor draw in addition to our overcards.

b. We'd love to encourage other weak overcard hands that dirty our outs to fold.

c. Since the flop is pretty ragged we will sometimes take this pot down with a bet immediately, as none of our opponents may have improved.

d. Betting now often gives us the opportunity to take a free card on the turn if our opponents hang around and we pick up outs.

3. Turn raise for a free showdown is good. My general [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] of free-showdown-raises is well-documented (ask brettbrettr...)
Old 11-28-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're so anxious to see a cheap showdown, why are you not betting the flop with two overcards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me, but top pair seems a lot more showable than J-high. But it's probably just me.

Scott
Old 11-28-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're so anxious to see a cheap showdown, why are you not betting the flop with two overcards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me, but top pair seems a lot more showable than J-high. But it's probably just me.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet for fold equity, not value. A lot of hands will make mistakes folding to a flop bet.

-d
Old 11-28-2005, 02:47 AM

I agree with the others about betting the flop.

I think there are some situations based on your opponent(s), the exact board, and the action where you can bet the river for value.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:40 AM

What was the exact flop? I don't think a bet here is necessary at all, especially if it's something like 962 or 942ss.

The turn raise is good, but you need to bet the river for value if you're just called. If you get 3-bet on the turn you can fold.

Rob
Old 11-28-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What was the exact flop? I don't think a bet here is necessary at all, especially if it's something like 962 or 942ss.

The turn raise is good, but you need to bet the river for value if you're just called. If you get 3-bet on the turn you can fold.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
you mean fold to a 3 bet or fold river UI?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
you mean fold to a 3 bet or fold river UI?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold to a 3-bet.

Rob
Old 11-28-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What was the exact flop? I don't think a bet here is necessary at all, especially if it's something like 962 or 942ss

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty tired, but I'm not sure I follow. Could you expand on which flops you wouldn't bet here and why?