Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Jacks overpair, odd betting pattern by villain

MP2 seems loose but not enough hands to judge aggression. During the hand I thought the limp/3-bet preflop was really odd. What do you put him on?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: pdxhero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">pdxhero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, pdxhero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (18.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">pdxhero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, pdxhero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (13.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, pdxhero ... ?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Jacks overpair, odd betting pattern by villain

In my experience a limp re raise pre flop is almost always a large pocket pair, usually KK or AA. However without reads I'd call down.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:25 AM

I call down...pots too big to fold. The 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] didn't change anything, i don't think...at least for you and villain! I'm putting him on AT, Any pair from AA-22. Maybe QTs JTs KJs.

If you've got reads on "MP1"... Will he call a turn raise? If so i think I raise, if not I call. Don't want to risk a 3-bet if he's already folding anyways. But if he's a calling station, I say make him bleed more money.

..thoughts?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience a limp re raise pre flop is almost always a large pocket pair, usually KK or AA. However without reads I'd call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get the odd fish that things LRR is "hip" and plays his QQ-AA this way. There are (IMExperice) more semi-maniacs that do this with pocket 3s! and QJs!

I think I cap preflop. You will win more than your share against (6?) opponents. I'll call his LRR if he's really passive.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:40 AM

Call the flop, raise the turn.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the pot's huge.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the pot's huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should be more specific. Why would you take this line? Why call the flop, but then raise the turn? The pot is huge doesn't explain that reasoning, unless I'm missing something.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the pot's huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should be more specific. Why would you take this line? Why call the flop, but then raise the turn? The pot is huge doesn't explain that reasoning, unless I'm missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]
you want to maximize your chances of winning this huge pot. raising the flop was ok but the pot was huge and you could be hard pressed to offer anyone incorrect odds. Waiting fo the turn to raise will protect your hand
Old 11-28-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the pot's huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you want to maximize your chances of winning this huge pot. raising the flop was ok but the pot was huge and you could be hard pressed to offer anyone incorrect odds. Waiting fo the turn to raise will protect your hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay now I understand and that does make sense. I was thinking that is what he was getting at, but I wasn't exactly sure. Thanks for the clarification.