Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 02:37 AM

Default My folded to river bet % is super high- help?

Preface: I only have about 11k hands in my database, about 500 of which I was facing a river bet. I am aware this is a small sample size, but my % is so high I think it is a huge leak.

My folded to river bet % is 62.9%: 312 out of 496 times. Most stats posts I have seen have this stat in the 30% range. I play primarily at .5/1 on pokerstars, if limit/site matter. I see many in this forum advocating "calling down", but I always assume my opponent has me beat and hate putting in more $ when I don't believe I have correct equity in the pot to call. I have posted 3 example hands for comment.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (2.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3.25 BB

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (11 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
Old 11-27-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: My folded to river bet % is super high- help?

You should bet all of these flops and turns. Doing so will lead to people betting into you less on the river, and you won't have to fold.

I'm guessing your play is fairly weak-tight.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should bet all of these flops and turns. Doing so will lead to people betting into you less on the river, and you won't have to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, check you aggression numbers. They need to be about 3, 2, 1.5 on the flop, turn, and river, respectively.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:55 AM

My agg #'s are 2.42, 2.86, and 2.64. I gues I am not aggressive enough on the flop and too aggressive on later streets? The higher later street #'s also shows my lack of calldowns. These differences may be because of sample size though.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:21 AM

Hand 2 is killing me. Bet the flop 100% of the time. When checked to again bet that 1000% of the time. Call the river.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 is killing me. Bet the flop 100% of the time. When checked to again bet that 1000% of the time. Call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you run me through your thought process here? I'm assuming this bet is to take it down right there? I just call if I get CR'ed?

Hand #2 was probably not a great example, as I would normally bet that flop, but it seems like my PFR -&gt; flop bet always gets called or runs me into a CR. Maybe I'm too weak tight.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems like my PFR -&gt; flop bet always gets called or runs me into a CR

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing scared is tilt.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you run me through your thought process here? I'm assuming this bet is to take it down right there? I just call if I get CR'ed?

Hand #2 was probably not a great example, as I would normally bet that flop, but it seems like my PFR -&gt; flop bet always gets called or runs me into a CR. Maybe I'm too weak tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

First reason is that the hand is a HU. There is a very good chance that AK is still the best hand and giving a free card is not what you want to do. Another reason why is that a majority of the time you bet this flop BB will fold and you take down the pot right there.

After he checked to you again on the turn you can be almost certain sure he doesnt have AK beat. Bet the turn and hopefully take down the pot. If he does have a 6 or a 9 and is too scared to bet you still have 3 Aces, 3 Kings, and 4 Tens to draw to.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

river aggression is very reflective of folding too much...however, you are setting yourself up for that by the lack of continuation bets. Remember, your opponent also has a 1 in 3 chance of non-paired holdings making a pair or better on the flop. Often, your AK-Ax holdings are a 'made' hand compared to what your opponents are holding.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:32 AM

*grunch*
Your main problem is not folding the river - at least in these hands. Hand 1 and 2 I bet the flop and turn and probably the river(read dependent). Hand 3 I bet the flop or ck raise the flop but never ever ck call.

See this link about continuation bets.

That being said, remember that everytime you lay down the best hand (in a big pot) it is a huge leak. Much less than calling one measly river bet

See this Ed Miller article