Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 01:47 AM

Default ($10) 55...Does this flop create an opportunity?

No reads early. With the ragged flop, and after the checks and the minbet and call, I decided to represent a big hand. It worked, but not after a little throw-up found its way into my mouth. I was just happy to see non-paint on the turn to be able to continue my play. I don't think this was very good with the second caller, but would you lead out with this flop for value? I think leading out for t80 does the same thing for me and gets me out cheap if the broadway callers catch some paint.

I hate calling here, since I'm sure I have the best hand, and could easily get someone off of a seven. Although calling could be a cheap way of catching a 5 or a 3/6.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

Button (t770)
Hero (t785)
BB (t740)
UTG (t730)
UTG+1 (t725)
MP1 (t1765)
MP2 (t910)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t775)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t15, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t15, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t87.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t15</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t70</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls t55, Button folds.

Turn: (t242.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: t442.50
Old 11-26-2005, 05:34 AM

Default Re: ($10) 55...Does this flop create an opportunity?

you're overthinking for a $10. play abc poker don't try anything tricky or before you know it you'll FPS your way to a $0 bankroll.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:40 AM

I thought this might be FPS, too. But why should I let opportunities like this go (when I have the best hand)? Shouldn't I be accumulating chips?

So many posts are about folding AK or All-in here and there. This sort of situation comes up quite a bit where the board and your cards aren't so "pretty" and the pot isn't so big. Some of these spots are harder.

In this spot, I was content on being done with the hand once I didn't hit my set. But once it checked around, and then a weak bet (and weaker call), why not try to accumulate these chips just sitting there?

Then after the hand was over, I wondered if I should have just led out instead of check-raised. I think my raise amount was on the weak side, and should have been more like t100.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:15 AM

You should very rarely check-raise less than all-in when you'll be OOP on the turn. I don't like leading out with 55 here at all into so many opponents - it's just not a good idea. Check/call the 15 and re-evaluate the turn.