Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2003, 02:59 PM

Default How do you KNOW you\'re playing well

Over the last couple of sessions I've taken some big hits for LL games. I know how huge the short term luck factor is (particularly in LL games) but nevertheless it is disheartening, even more so for myself as I am a perfectionist ( I frequently try to squeeze every last drop from every hand) and fiercely competative. I've analyzed my play scrupulously and can't find any big holes in my game. Sometimes I will overplay a hand by raising instead of calling in an effort to squeeze all value out of a hand or other small mistakes but they are rather seldom in a session and I almost never make catastrophic mistakes. My question is simply how to walk away from a losing session(s) even after attempting to objectively analyze your play with a clear conscience and silenceing that nagging question in the back of your mind "Am I playing well?" (this is doubly bad as I've read and re-read about self-denial in schoomaker's POP)

Joe
Old 07-09-2003, 04:01 PM

Default Re: How do you KNOW you\'re playing well

Post some hands and let the gang here at 2+2 tell you if you're playing well.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:11 PM

I agree. Perhaps the most valuable information you get here is comments on your hands.
I also urge you to develop relationships with a couple of serious players. I talk to my friends about hands all the time. I vividly recall telling Barry Tanenbaum about a hand I thought I played especially well. He showed me that I had played it very poorly. The same thing has happened with other friends. Of course, people won't be so directly critical with you unless you clearly communicate that you WANT criticism.
I must also make an obvious point: A couple of losing sessions is not a large enough sample for any conclusions. You may have played well and just gotten bad luck.
Regards,
Al
Old 07-09-2003, 04:45 PM

I do post here somewhat regularly and the criticism I get is stuff like "you should have checked there to induce a bluff" or "You should have bet here to find out where you were at" followed by "other than that, you played it fine" Nothing detrimental, so I don't think I'm playing badly, I just wanted to hear how you guys keep in good spirits after running bad

Joe
Old 07-09-2003, 06:46 PM

With only 48 total posts, you have't come close to participating enough in the strategy discussions. You should post a lot more hands and comment on those posted by others.