Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 10:30 AM

Default a variance question (long)

I know there was recently a post comparing the two sites but this post is a little different. I play on Stars but have an account of Party which I don’t use (my girlfriend is playing out the reaming balance). I read lots of posts on this lovely forum about how much of a donkfest Party is.
After running bad last week I decided to play a $25 NL on Party for a change. I was amazed at the play. It appears to me that the SSNL players on Stars generally play much better poker. If the players on Party are as bad as the ones I played against then I want to play more on Party.

My problem is that I kept getting sucked out on over and over again. If you are playing against poor players do you need a larger BR to deal with a greater variance? If your opponents have more “gamble” in them does that effect your variance?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: a variance question (long)

Yeah party players are bad. I don't know about your problem exactly. Variance depends on your style and your opponents style obviously. Are you always paying off big when they hit their outs?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing against poor players do you need a larger BR to deal with a greater variance? If your opponents have more “gamble” in them does that effect your variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes, absolutely. If you think about it should be intuitively obvious: Part of variance is just how the cards run, which doesn't depend on the opponents. But as you surmise, the rest of variance comes from people drawing out with inferior hands, and bad players suck out more often.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is that I kept getting sucked out on over and over again. If you are playing against poor players do you need a larger BR to deal with a greater variance? If your opponents have more “gamble” in them does that effect your variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the problem is that we "know" that they are bad yet we are trying *too* hard to stack them. Take your time play a little tighter... since they aren't good you know they won't notice that you are playing solid tight aggressive poker.

I play at UB and always find that on other sites I get stacked a couple times before I can adjust .... how did you call with k4o against my AKs with my 6xbb preflop raise? In those situations you know the flop will show up kk4 just to mess with you!

I think BR requirements don't change but remember that hand values change when more callers... AA vs 4 instead of 1 caller so adjust post flop.

Guin