Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Poker skill
below average 69 27.94%
above average 178 72.06%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Proud to be an American?

If you could renounce your US citizenship, but still not get deported (and be able to work) would you do it?

You would be exempt from taxes, but have to pay for government services out of your own pocket.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Proud to be an American?

It seems pretty dumb to be proud of something which you did not even achieve. I don't derive pride from the fact that I, like millions of others, happened to be born under the jurisdiction of a certain government. Nationalism is one of the lowest modes of thought in my opinion.

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-
Old 11-21-2005, 11:47 PM

I think it's good to be proud of your country but not trust your government. But then i'm Canadian. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 01:06 AM

I'm not proud of my country, I did nothing to earn living in it. Nevertheless, I love and respect it, and would never renounce my citizenship, certainly not for monetary purposes.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:13 AM

Just because the country's been run by a bunch of [censored] ups for the last 5 years doesn't mean I'm going to renounce my citizenship.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because the country's been run by a bunch of [censored] ups for the last 229 years doesn't mean I'm going to renounce my citizenship.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-22-2005, 02:27 AM

The [censored] upthing didn't change, they just have more power then they used too.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:03 AM

Man...if only I could. This would be a dream come true.

Hmm...let's see...yeah, I won't have to pay for ss/medicare/iraq/every other idiotic government program I don't use. I'd probably save a good 30% of my income every year.

Will
Old 11-22-2005, 05:44 AM

How could you not be proud. We live in the wealthiest, freest, most geographically beautiful country in the world. I don't agree with much of what we have done in the past and we are guilty of many evils. This is a fact that all of humanity has to face however. One can be proud that they live in a wealthy, powerfull, easy living country and not support past sins. Anyone who lives in Western Europe, North America, and liberal Pacific Governments would be foolish not to be proud or grateful. Seriously, try out explaining your dissatifaction of our countries with people living in Darfur. They would invariable view us as spoiled and ungrateful.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How could you not be proud. We live in the wealthiest, freest, most geographically beautiful country in the world. I don't agree with much of what we have done in the past and we are guilty of many evils. This is a fact that all of humanity has to face however. One can be proud that they live in a wealthy, powerfull, easy living country and not support past sins. Anyone who lives in Western Europe, North America, and liberal Pacific Governments would be foolish not to be proud or grateful. Seriously, try out explaining your dissatifaction of our countries with people living in Darfur. They would invariable view us as spoiled and ungrateful.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 Luxembourg $ 55,100 (GDP/capita)
2 Norway $ 37,800
3 United States $ 37,800

thrid wealthiest. Somalia has no government, so they are the most free. beauty is subjective, so i disagree with you on that too.