Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Testing Sklansky Strategy

I have seen several posts recently concerning the use of Sklansky's all-in or fold tournament strategy, but I have not seen any numbers backing the validity of the strategy. There has been several small samples but nothing definitive.

I have decided to take a $50 BR on stars and evaluate the merits of this style. Here are the ground rules:

1. I will only be playing $1 MTT's. I am doing this because of the BR and I do not see it having merit at higher buy-ins (more people looking to pick-off all-ins). I will be playing both the large fields and MTT SNG's.

2. I will be using this strategy until the first break of each tournament. After that I will let my stack and table situations decide my betting patterns. Here I will actually use some post flop play. This item has been changed (All hands will be played according to the theory).

I will try to post the results as often as possible, and discuss how anything past the second hour was played. If you want further information concerning a tournie let me know and I will get you the and histories.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Testing Sklansky Strategy

I'm sorry but, unless you use the strategy throughout the whole tournament regardless of the first hour, I don't see this as a test of Sklansky's strategy. Using it for only a portion of the tournament and then reassessing whether or not it suits that game will not put it to a true test. He states that a player can win using this strategy alone. If you deviate from it after the first hour how can you come to an accurate conclusion about whether or not it works?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:39 PM

You are right. To truelly test the strategy I must use it throughout the tournament. All hands will be played with the Sklansky strategy regardless of the time in the tournie.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:57 PM

Thats interesting that you are only gonna use the strategy for the first hour, because if i remember correctly, the strategy starts to kick in when the blinds and antes become a significant portion of your stack, thus making it a viable play to risk your entire stack to pick up whats already in the pot.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:58 PM

I dont have a copy of TPFAP so I dont know the details of Sklansky's allin/fold method.
What are the hand ranges you will use to push and from which position? Will you vary your pushing range as the tourny goes on?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:02 PM

Sklansky states that the system wouldn't be used in the first 2-3 levels, since the blinds were too small. For the first 2-3 levels anything but AA gets mucked.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:24 PM

KK gets mucked? Surely the advantage of some donkey calling you with AJo or KQs, let along a good player with QQ or JJ makes a push better than a fold.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:27 PM

i think the strategy works best at higher limits
Old 11-17-2005, 01:33 PM

Yes, KK gets mucked at the first 2-3 levels. He says that it's simply not worth risking your entire stack with KK to pick up the blinds at that stage.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, KK gets mucked at the first 2-3 levels. He says that it's simply not worth risking your entire stack with KK to pick up the blinds at that stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have my book with me here at work, but I'm 99% sure that during the first 2 levels it's move in with AA/KK/AKs. After that he adds all pairs and suited connectors.