Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Playing at a REALLY loose table

I am an intermediate player with a VPIP of ~21% and a win rate of ~3BB/100 hands. I was playing last night on PP on a table with a VPIP of 40%. I played solid hands in position (VPIP 22%, PFR 9%, AF 3.8), but I kept losing anyway. How should I adjust my game on such a loose table? Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Playing at a REALLY loose table

[ QUOTE ]
I am an intermediate player with a VPIP of ~21% and a win rate of ~3BB/100 hands. I was playing last night on PP on a table with a VPIP of 40%. I played solid hands in position (VPIP 22%, PFR 9%, AF 3.8), but I kept losing anyway. How should I adjust my game on such a loose table? Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise when you have an equity edge, limp plenty of drawing hands in position, and hang on for a wild and variance-filled ride.

And be sure to account for the bigger pot sizes when deciding whether to draw or not. Don't be too tight on the flop and turn.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:45 PM

How many hands did you play at that table? 50? 500? A loose table like that should pay you off in a hurry if you can avoid big losses and catch a couple hands in a row. With all the loosey goosey players think less about having TPGK hold up and play smart drawing hands when you have position.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:51 PM

Just very basic ABC stuff is the order of the day. Play every hand and every situation for value. If the cards don't come you can lose a ton without making a mistake. I think it is easier to play these type of tables than the tighter ones where you will be faced with more marginal situations. Middle pair is usually a weak drawing hand in multi-way pots but heads up or 2 handed you often have to play it as the stongest hand until evidence suggests otherwise.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:49 PM

Thanks. I played about 250 hands. I reviewed my stats and found exactly what you all have said. I was playing too tight and not giving myself a chance to win the big pots on quality drawing hands. Also, I was definately not prepared for the variance. Maybe next time I'll win the hands that were hit on the river and make up for this session.

This was my first post. Thanks for the feedback.