Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 06:41 PM

Default help understanding pot equity

Can anyone help me understand pot equity as it applies to LHE?

I understand that Pot Equity can not be used on its own and you need to also consider Implied Odds and Pot Odds, but to simplify the understanding I would like to focus solely on Pot Equity.

SSH gives the following verbage:
<font color="red">
Pot Equity is the dollar or bet amount equivalent to the percentage of the pot that you expect to win. For example, if the pot contains ten bets, and you have a draw to the nuts that will come in ten percent of the time you pot equity is two bets (20% of 10 bets).</font>

What does this mean? I am really confused by this statement. If you have 5 outs o the nuts post flop it is +EV situation to call 2 bets?

another example or application says <font color="red">when you have a strong drawing hand (before or on the flop) your pot equity determines whether you can bet or raise for value. For instance, you flop the nut flush draw against 4 opponents. you have a 35% chance to make your hand by the river, and therefore, also about a 35 % pot equity. If all four of your opponents call to see the turn, you contribute 20% of the $ but but your equityis 35 %. representing a PE edge (overlay of 15%).</font>

so I assume the 35% is based on the 9 outs with 2 cards to come

9 Outs
On the flop for the turn-19.15%
On the turn for the river-19.57%
On the flop for the turn
and river combined-34.97%

So does this mean that it is a +EV move to chase a nutflush draw as long as you have 3 callers on the flop or 4 callers on the turn? (unless the board is paired and you are not calling a raise)? What is the EV of a raise in this situation? With an overlay of 15% would it be correct to raise and try to push somone out of the pot to bring your pot equity inline with your chance of making your hand?

If you were to change this to a the non-nut flush/outside straight draw you would add 8 outs what would be the highest EV play here?

I'd like to note that after typing this up and thinking about it I actually am understanding the concept a lttle more, but would like to initiate some discussion on the topic b/c I am not completely comfortable with my understanding of it
Old 11-22-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: help understanding pot equity

Pot equity simply determines whether or not a pot is worth chasing.

If you're heads-up and your chance of winning (pot equity) is less than 50%, you need question why you would want to invest more money in the pot at even money.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:21 PM

I answered something like this just recently in this forum and others added and embellished on it as well - search for pot equity.

The thumbnail version is: pot equity is the % of the times your hand will be good at showdown, or, taking it a step further, the amount of $$ that that percentage represents given the pot size. We might saw "you have 35% equity here."

Pot equity is generally useful to dtermine whether to bet or raise for value; it is less commonly used to determine whether to call a bet or a raise (there is no reason it cannot be, but it is simply easier to use outs and pot / implied odds).
Old 11-22-2005, 09:43 PM

Check out this post

Link
Old 11-22-2005, 11:32 PM

Hi ... Pot Equity