Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Rag flops

Whats the general take on these sorts of hands? Raise/fold/call? SB in this hand is too loose, but has showdown a lot of winners. 43/7/1.3, i'm looking for more of an overview though.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero...
Old 11-19-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Rag flops

SB knows the flop probably missed you, and can easily be taking shots. Even if he has a pair, you have 6 pretty clean (not always, but most of the time) outs. Getting 7:1, I think you can continue. Raise! Had BB called, I fold.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:07 PM

I figured raising is best, betting any turn/river that improves and check folding ones that dont. Do you ever bet this turn if you miss, to me it seems a waste as K high probably wont win at showdown.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:00 PM

He seems passive enough to try to raise for a free card.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:03 PM

I would raise for the free card as well. Should he reraise me I would call and fold the turn UI.

[ QUOTE ]
SB knows the flop probably missed you, and can easily be taking shots. Even if he has a pair, you have 6 pretty clean (not always, but most of the time) outs. Getting 7:1, I think you can continue. Raise! Had BB called, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you fold getting 8 to 1 with your overcards on a ragged flop?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats the general take on these sorts of hands? Raise/fold/call? SB in this hand is too loose, but has showdown a lot of winners. 43/7/1.3, i'm looking for more of an overview though.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, K.
Hero raises, 3 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3, 2, 7 (3 players)
SB bets, BB folds, Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising the flop sucks. Call the flop and reevaluate on the turn. Against this type of player I would suggest raising a J,Q,K,A on the turn. If a blank falls just fold the turn.

Edit: Just a little more. It is kinda difficult without any kind of intimate knowledge of the sb. If you make a habit of raising the flop with overpairs and checking turns people will start 3betting these flops and calling and betting out on the turn. Sure that's great when you have an overpair but you'll more often than not have air.

By just calling these flops I think you put yourself in much better spots on the turn. First, It's 3-1 you're going to see a favorable card on the turn (A,K,Q,J). You'll have to judge the fold equity you have on the turn based on opponent knowledge but you, of course, have much more on the turn than you do on the flop. Second, when you just call with a premium pair and raise the turn it will make sb wary of betting out in these situations. Finally, so you peel, the turn blanks, and you fold...big deal.

Mix this play with the occasional raise flop/check turn and you'll go a long way to keeping your opponents off balance.

As an aside, I make the flop raise/check turn play ALL the time at 5/10. As I play 10/20 and higher I've found that just calling the flop (for the most part) and reevaluating on the turn works better.

___1___