Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 04:06 AM

Default lead bets or continuation bets or whatever you call them

i've been thinking the primary leak in my game at this point is a lack of critical thinking in making flop bets with preflop initiative. right now, i simply autobet the flop with 1 or 2 opponents, and check with 3 or more opponents when i miss. the things i'm trying to consider are: my opponents, my position, the texture of the flop, and how badly i missed the flop. How do you experts take these factors into consideration? Or do you always lead bet into 2 (or even more) opponents?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Re: lead bets or continuation bets or whatever you call them

These are the kind of vague, open-ended questions that will not get much of a response on this board.

You are correct to say that there are many factors to determine whether you should bet at a missed flop. It is a part of the game you need to study and develop a 'feel' for.

I suggest you study up, read lots of posts and post some hands if you have a good idea of what you were thinking during the play of the hand. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:27 AM

It's going to be tough to respond to this generally. Just post some hands to get some solid replies.

You're asking the right questions, which shows that you're on your way in this department.

At present, I'll add just a few things to your list of considerations:

How do your opponents view you overall?

Is there any previous action (most importantly recently) that will impact the way the hand will play out? This involves both you and those also involved.

I suppose you should also consider the strength of your hand and what sort of chances you have of winning unimproved, but the stakes you're playing factor here.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:20 PM

I think you would get more responses if you posted a hand or two concerning the subject. One thing I did notice is that I don't think you should be afraid to auto bet flop when you are the raiser against three opponents. In many situations you can still get a few folds, which increases your equity. In situations where you have an Ace, it may also clean up some outs. Don't recklessly auto bet don't automatically check because three players are in the hand. This is especially true if you have position, because you may get to see a free river.