Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 08:06 PM

Default 50NL TP on paired board

My first hand post, so be easy. I don't believe I played this well at all. What do you put him on? How is my line? Thanks for your responses.

Villian is 52/3.7/2.83 over 30 hands (from PA HUD), though he seemed more aggressive to me.

Party Poker 50NL Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($42)
BB ($141.47)
Hero ($53.95)
MP ($36.33)
Button ($74.17)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP calls $2, Button calls $2, SB (poster) calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($10) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($10) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $15</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($40) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Final Pot: $60
Old 11-17-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: 50NL TP on paired board

Hey,

I don't think most people in this forum would raise it to $2 UTG with TQo. You are at your most vulnerable in early position. I fold TQo in first position all day and I don't ever feel bad about it.

OK, but you raise, and now you have 4 callers behind you. Where do you stand? What kind of flop will you like? On a ten high flop, you could still very easily be going up against TK or TA here. I can't think of any flop I'd really be confident with in this pot, other than a straight or maybe top two pair.

Even though your ten hits the turn, you've got flush dangers, now. I think a huge downfall --for me, too-- is when I forget that cards-that-help-me can also be cards-that-help-someone else. You're not sitting pretty - especially with this many people behind you, you have GOT to allow the possibility that someone has the spades or the nine (which they very well may have checked on the flop - esp. the spades).

Aggressive or not, if he didn't have trips or a flush, what do you think he would raise you with on the turn? Maybe the ace of spades. Even so, he could have been bluff-raising with bottom pair and the nut-flush draw, which of course would give him a boat on the river. I could easily see this guy playing a 4 with the ace of spades like this.

If you think your ten is best on the turn, bet more, maybe about the pot. Then, you might have a better idea of where you stand. $5 into a pot of $10 doesn't earn you much information.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tell me what you're thinking now - I'll check again in a few minutes.

J Chap
Old 11-17-2005, 08:27 PM

....and when I don't fold TQo UTG, I limp it and fold to a raise. and then wonder why i didnt just fold it.

: )
Old 11-17-2005, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the advice.

You're right, my first mistake was raising UTG with that hand. I knew that would be spotted by ppl here. I need to get better at playing my position. Not sure why I did that; I think I was in a dry spell and getting impatient, although if I was trying to make a move, I should have continued with it.

My thinking on the turn was that he would have bet if he hit the flop, he was betting everything. So he saw my weak bet as a steal attempt and went after it.

Good idea on the As and 4. That's a very possible hand for him to raise the turn on to pick off a bluff or see where he is. I was almost positive he didn't have the nine.

The more I look at it, the more I think that this is one of the worst hands I've played. Now it makes me sick that I picked it as my first post, haha.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:36 PM

I don't mind the PFR with QTo 5-handed. But to do it you would need the right table conditions, a decent image at the table, and most importantly be able to play well post-flop. I'm not sure about the first two conditions, but as for the third........ [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Turn bet is OK. A little smallish but OK. You may get better Ten's to fold their hand thinking you just hit a flush or are slowplaying a 9. But the amount is right on the upper limit of weak. So make it $6 or $7 to go and then you are done putting money in the middle barring a river T.

When c/r'd, you have to put villian on a hand. Blinds love to slowplay paired boards when they have trips so you have to be aware of that. There's a 3-flush on the board, so that's a possibility. There's also a chance he has a better ten then you, but it's likely to be one of the first two. It adds up to a fold. An easy fold actually. Back on the c/r.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the PFR with QTo 5-handed. But to do it you would need the right table conditions, a decent image at the table, and most importantly be able to play well post-flop. c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - you need to be really good at post-flop play to make this, IMO audacious, raise.

AJMarg - what do you do pre-flop with no table image / reads and QTo?