Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2003, 09:08 PM

Default About Last Night, part two

PLHE at Stars, blinds of 0.50/1.00, full table.

I'm in CO with T [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img].

Stack sizes: SB $45.20; UTG $25.30; I have them both covered.

Pre-flop: Two limpers to me, I limp, SB completes and BB checks.

Flop: K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]. Both blinds check and UTG bets $2. I call and so does SB.

Turn: 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. SB checks and UTG bets the pot of $10.50, leaving him with just $11.80. I call and SB folds.

River: 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. He bets $10 and I call.

Have I won? [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] How do people think I played this hand? Too passive? Too loose? [Both UTG and SB were pretty new to me at this time.]

Old 06-27-2003, 01:17 AM

Default Re: About Last Night, part two

I'd have been more aggressive with the hand. I certainly want all the money in the pot by the turn with this hand. Something about reducing implied odds (to 0)in case someone is drawing with a set or the A or Q of clubs.

I really don't know or care if you won. But, that's not nice, so I hope you won.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2003, 03:13 AM

Hehe...well, you're right - whether I won or not isn't important. I was interested to hear if anyone would play it more aggressively, or perhaps not even pay it all (at any stage). I was playing it passively here because UTG was short-stacked, and so I wanted to separate him from what little money he had left, without possibly scaring him off with a raise. In facing UTG's turn bet, I was also concerned about the SB - I was hoping to keep him along for the ride as well. Finally, because UTG was short-stacked, there wasn't going to be a particularly heavy penalty if he did outdraw me. [Some of that is a bit confused, I think, but it's what was going through my head at the time.]
Old 06-27-2003, 06:22 AM

You should raise the turn here, I think; there's not enough money left to bother slowplaying. He'll probably call a turn raise with anything reasonable; whereas with the bare A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] or a pair and flush draw, he may not call the river (unless he's outdrawn you).
Old 06-27-2003, 02:35 PM

In the games I play - 8Ts is a hand I'll play in any position unless the game has a lot of raises preflop - I might dump it early then.

Once the flop hits, I'm just going to make people pay for draws. In early position, I'll go for a check raise if that's likely to work. I'm all in here early - flop if possible, but definitely by the turn. You have almost about a 32-42% chance on each card that either a spade will come off or the board will pair. Both of which really hurt your hand. Get that money in quickly here. If you wait until the river or slow play this hand, you are losing money.

Old 06-27-2003, 03:23 PM

Normally I would play a hand like that pretty fast, but since there wasn't a lot of money in the pot I too would have checked the flop and been praying the turn didn't bring a spade. However, I would have certainly got all my money in on the turn.