Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2003, 10:14 AM

Default NL $50 buy in 10 handed, QQ

QQ in MP i make it $5 to have only the person on my left call. $11.50 in the pot. I have no read on that player.

Flop comes J high raindow, i bet the pot and he calls.

Turn is a rag but what's my play now?
Old 07-02-2003, 12:42 PM

Default Re: NL $50 buy in 10 handed, QQ

You don't give stack sizes but I'll assume they're close to the buy-in of $50. For much less, just get all-in, and for much more, play carefully!

If you are ahead here, you're probably a long way ahead: his most likely hand is one pair or overcards giving him 2, 5 or 6 outs. In that case betting all-in for $35 or so isn't wrong, but you could also consider checking and letting him bluff at it. A free card is not that dangerous. However with $35 in your stack and about the same amount in the pot I don't think you can get away from the hand if you're behind.

Guy.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:16 PM

I posted to see if anyone had alarm bells ringing at the two amounts the other player called.

I had $200 and he had $60, so i bet the amount to put him all in and ran into AA. I think there is only AJ AK (maybe) that would call there that i can beat. So i'm rethinking that play.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:25 PM

Alarm bells rang only because you posted the hand!

I'm guessing this was an online game, and if so, there are lots of players who will call your preflop raise and flop bet with much less than KK or AA.

Guy.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:03 PM

The flop call seemed like it should ring alarm bells since i can only beat AJ TJ AK TT (doubtful it would call).

He afterwards said 'i was planning on raising the turn but you did that for me'.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:55 AM

I would go all-in. If he's gonna slow play AA then good for him, it's gonna hurt him in the long run.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:57 AM

In these online games, with a raggedy jack high flop, people will call a flop bet with all sorts of hands. Any J, any pocket pair, middle pair etc.

Obviously knowledge of your opponents is important here...

Any time someone flat calls a flop bet you should be considering their holding, of course, and if you've been showing strength then it's always a bit worrying to be called. Most of the time, however, passive play indicates a mediocre hand or a draw.

What else do you suggest you do in this situation? Check-fold the turn? That's a recipe for disaster in the long run. An observant opponent will bet into you on fourth street every time you slow down.

Checking and calling might well be the best play because someone with a weak hand might give up to a large bet but bet into you if you show weakness. If you check the turn it really looks like you have AK. You'd get a bet out of me if I was in there with a jack. (But I would have folded long ago, never mind...)

Of course if you check you'll have a hard time when he checks back and the river brings an A or K, but there aren't too many of those around.

Guy.