Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 03:08 PM

Default 50NL, AK, third suited card hits on river, bet or check behind?

50NL, 9 handed, hero has $77, opponenent has $97
opponent hasn't done all that much since I've sat down, fairly passive, fairly loose.

preflop: 3 folds, MP calls .50, MP2 calls .50, hero raises to $3 with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], folds around, MP1 calls 2.50, MP2 folds.

pot: ($7.25)

flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

villain bets $5, hero raises to $15, villain calls 10

pot: ($37.25)

turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

villain checks, hero bets $30, MP1 calls $30

pot: ($97.25)

river 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

villain checks, hero...

is checking behind here too weak? is a bet in order here? I had about 30 left and I would be moving all in if I bet anything. any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 11-18-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: 50NL, AK, third suited card hits on river, bet or check behind?

bueller...bueller...bump

just want to find out if the check behind was too weak, or if this is a standard line to take
Old 11-18-2005, 04:03 PM

I see a flushdraw playing just like this, but also Ax... totally depends on my "feel" if I bet this but against passive fish who never bets top pair I would bet this river, against someone who always bets pairs and check calls draws I might check, not positive
Old 11-18-2005, 04:05 PM

Checking behind is normally the standard play, but you don't relaly have much left.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:12 PM

My thoughts are that either you are beat (or chop), or villan is a horrible player. You cannot bet the river without a read. At $50NL perhaps a typical player will call this down with worse than AK, but at higher levels that is not too common and you are frequently behind here. Check behind and then add a note to villan about how he plays AJ
Old 11-18-2005, 04:20 PM

since I don't have much left would it be better to move all in here?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:11 PM

considering hes a passive player, its probly unlikely hes a big semi-bluffer. im not sure tho, because theyre all different...i think hes got Ax, but im really not sure if i would bet the river again. id just go with feel.

no i dont think the river check is to weak.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:35 PM

Typically I check behind here. Regarding pushing with the small stack you have left, I can't say it's 'better', it's just not as risky a move as it would be if you're both deeper. Typically you don't want to go broke TPTK type hands vs unknowns on the river, after giving him multiple chances to get away from his hand. However since you're only risking 30 more it's not as costly an error as it could be, there is no possible c/r to worry about, and given that it's a smallish bet it will actually get him to call with worse hands than he would vs a larger bet.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking behind is normally the standard play, but you don't relaly have much left.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was a great point, and it made me realize that I probably lost value on the river by not betting. With so much already in the pot and the action before the river where my opponent led out after I had raised PF, on the river and decided that he did not have a flush draw but it was more likely a weaker Ace. It was not as likely that villian was slowplaying 2 pair or a set by flat calling $30 on the turn and then not pushing the river when I only had 30 left. If I figured that I was ahead at least %40 percent of the time, I should have pushed, since I only had $30 left, which was 1/3 of the pot. Since the pot was so large, my opponent wasn't laying down any weaker Ace hand since he was getting 4:1 on a call. It was checked to me, so I think now the better play was to push. Checking was not a bad play either, but I think now pushing might have been the optimal line if I figured I was ahead around %40 percent of the time. If that logic is faulty I would like some feedback, thanks