Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2003, 03:04 PM

Default Dumb or good 5th street check?

10/20 shorthanded game (3 to 5 players), the action usually stays at one bet per round.

1) 5-handed. A player who way too often brings it in for $10 instead of the minimum $3 (ante is $2) again brings it in for $10 with a 2 showing (may also have to do with the fact that heŽs losing and most likely a little bit on tilt, not big time though). I have cleverly positioned myself to his left because of his overagressive play and make it $20 with 7K7, the opponents on my left having A, K, and a 4. Fortunately everyone folds back to the bring in who just calls.

4th: He checks with a 2A board, I bet with 76 showing, he calls.

5th: He now has 2AQ and checks, IŽve got 76A and check behind reasoning that heŽll either fold his ace high, or IŽll get check-raised by a better hand (I mean everyone would expect me to bet here, so I thought why not vary my play by checking this time, especially given the fact that heŽll push a marginal hand, maybe even ace high, on sixth and seventh given the weakness I showed, and there is only one ace remaining anyway.)

6th: He catches a blank and bets his 2AQ? as expected, I have 76A? and call (we are both too multicolored, so I didnŽt bother with the suits).

7th: I catch the last ace for aces up, he bets again, I raise, he calls, I win. I think he mumbles something about having two pair.

Comments, especially the 5th street check?
Old 06-23-2003, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Dumb or good 5th street check?

as a variance play it is not a bad play but in general i think you should bet here and take the pot if he wants you to let you do it.

Pat
Old 06-23-2003, 10:00 PM

As long as you plan to call his bet on sixth if he doesn't improve, I think taking the free card with your lousy hand is fine. There's no reason to think he doesn't have a pair of eights or better in the hole.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:21 AM

There's no reason to think he doesn't have a pair of eights or better in the hole.

Oh yes there is! He would often, i.e. far more than 50% of the time, bring it in for $10, so betting and taking the pot as Pat has advised should be the routine play; why wait until he catches that pair of eight or nines, after all my overcards are not very live either.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:51 PM

I would bet fifth street in the hopes that he folds his Ace-high, myself.