Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Misplaced raise?

5/10 HU against a decent player. He will semibluff and is not afraid to raise lower than top pair.

K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in SB/Button.

I raise, BB calls.

Flop:J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet, he calls

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet, he raises, I call (?)

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He bets, I raise, he calls.

I think I misplaced the raise, am I right? Not to say a river raise is wrong, but should I have 3bet the turn instead?

Simple hand, but it seems to be debateable from AIMs Im getting (concesus is split as to where to raise). This is easy-breezy...but give me a break, I havent had an intresting hand in forever and I reply to a ton of hands anyway.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Misplaced raise?

i'm weak and would have just called down, but if you were going to put an extra bet i think the turn is the place
Old 11-10-2005, 04:05 AM

the river raise looks pretty bad from my perspective. alot of hands are going to fold. i like considering the turn 3 bet but in most situations i prefer calling. it really depends on the flow of the game and what hand range you put him on of course.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:52 AM

Unless UTG is extremely aggressive, I would just call down from the turn raise.

If he would semibluff a straight or flush draw on the turn, raising for a free showdown UI might make sense, but I would hate to have it capped since I have to call.

I definetely wouldn't raise the river. Although you could be ahead most of the time even after his turn checkraise, I dont think you are ahead 55% when called, and although you could fold to a 3-bet there is the slim chance that it would be a bluff.

Maybe I give too much respect to turn checkraises HU and miss some valuebets here? I moved from full table to 6max recently, and one of the changes seem to be that people bluff-raise a lot more on the big streets.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:53 AM

i really cant stand this 55% number it drives me absolutely insane. could someone cite the page number in the sklansky book that discusses where 55 came from?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i really cant stand this 55% number it drives me absolutely insane. could someone cite the page number in the sklansky book that discusses where 55 came from?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not crazy about it either. It's on TOP p. 203 and HPFAP p. 101.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:06 AM

I put him on not a queen (unless weak, like Q4-Q7ish)...more in line with a diamond/draw or Jack/ten. Calling turn is okay, but 3betting is what I still prefer (this is not being results oriented...I actually didnt see I had a one card openended on the turn...I was super busy).
Old 11-10-2005, 06:12 AM

yah if you dont think he has a queen then the 3bet is very good and yah because of your openender it adds equity to your hand even when behind.