Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 05:49 PM

Default a liberals endorsement of Judge Thomas

A lot has been made of Judge Thomas's unique point of view. two examples) 1) He has argued that Virgina can have it's own state religion. 2) He wrote in a separate opinion dissenting from Rehnquist that Texas can outlaw sodomy. (Rehnquist and Scalia agreed with Texas but for a different reason)

Perhaps it is this type of judicial conservatism that we need to get the Christian Right off our backs at the federal level. They'd still be able to do it at the state level, but there are enough liberal states in the Union to give all Americans an option of living in a conservative state with Christian values or a liberal one with humanist values.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: a liberals endorsement of Judge Thomas

[ QUOTE ]
A lot has been made of Judge Thomas's unique point of view. two examples) 1) He has argued that Virgina can have it's own state religion. 2) He wrote in a separate opinion dissenting from Rehnquist that Texas can outlaw sodomy. (Rehnquist and Scalia agreed with Texas but for a different reason)

Perhaps it is this type of judicial conservatism that we need to get the Christian Right off our backs at the federal level. They'd still be able to do it at the state level, but there are enough liberal states in the Union to give all Americans an option of living in a conservative state with Christian values or a liberal one with humanist values.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about we just get them off our backs at both levels.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:03 PM

that was supposed to be the ideas of the founding fathers -

want a place where you can smoke weed in peace, have good unemployment benefits, but not get fired for the slightest infraction, go to Minnesota -

wanna have drive thru liquor stores and [censored] bigoted redneck neighbors that look just like you, go to Texas.

But of course, conservatives won't have any of that - when they want their way on something, they'll go crying to the Federal Govt. in a heartbeat

we can't have state's deciding to accept Homosexuals, so let's put some good old fashioned bigotry back on the Constitution with a marriage protection amendment.

I seriously wish a bird flu epidemic would spread...it's guaranteed to kill half those stupid bastards right off the start - it won't get the ones in the ivory towers, but maybe it'll take care of a few Klan members.

George Carlin said it best "I love this country and the freedoms we used to have."

RB
Old 11-07-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously wish a bird flu epidemic would spread...it's guaranteed to kill half those stupid bastards right off the start - it won't get the ones in the ivory towers, but maybe it'll take care of a few Klan members.

[/ QUOTE ]

Liberal tolerance at its finest.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:18 PM

No, that's Natural Law..

Remember Natural Law? - The battle cry of all who want to ban homosexuality and any behavior they find offensive? - If they're not strong enough to survive Nature, well, I don't know what to tell them.

Let's face it - Darwin's theory of natural selection suggests half of those ignorant pricks would be dead already cause they can't do anything unless their Pastor or Governor tells them it's ok, so why not just accelerate the process?

Since we're now deciding Natural Law (wherever the [censored] that got written down) should be Constitutional Law, let's live by Natural Law, babee... - you won't need that Influzena shot cause that would be AGAINST Natural Law and the Laws of Selection that weed out the weak and sickly

...no problem - you want Natural Law, we'll give you natural Law -

BTW, sometimes Natural Law gets modified...Like global warming and don't care? - Natural Law states that hurricanes will have more force and power as a result of it - maybe you can get an amendment that makes it illegal for hurricanes to form...aw, that's right...you can't. Get ready to weather the [censored] storm then.

cause these ignorant dipshits vs. Nature wouldn't stand a chance [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If not a pandemic, at least some [censored] revolution would be nice - Everyone who wants a thoecracy can go live in bumfuck utah, and everyone else who loves freedom can live in the US.

RB
Old 11-07-2005, 06:19 PM

right, because repunlicans are so damn tolerant. they shout bible verses condemning us all to hell while conveniently forgetting "judge not, lest ye be judged first".

hey, not all my neighbors are redneck bigots..... just the majority of them!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that was supposed to be the ideas of the founding fathers -

want a place where you can smoke weed in peace, have good unemployment benefits, but not get fired for the slightest infraction, go to Minnesota -

wanna have drive thru liquor stores and [censored] bigoted redneck neighbors that look just like you, go to Texas.

But of course, conservatives won't have any of that - when they want their way on something, they'll go crying to the Federal Govt. in a heartbeat

we can't have state's deciding to accept Homosexuals, so let's put some good old fashioned bigotry back on the Constitution with a marriage protection amendment.

George Carlin said it best "I love this country and the freedoms we used to have."

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I would be acting as though Minnesota is a paragon of intelligence over Texas...we're not the ones who elected a professional wrestler to be governor.

But...I guess your statement is the beauty of an online forum...you can say horrible things that would assure you of a trip to the hospital if you said them to someone's face.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:29 PM

Jesse, for all his lunkheadedness, was beloved for the most part by MN...esp. young people and people who were reinspired to vote -

It takes a man with balls to stand up and say "Look, we gave you a double digit increase in the budget last year for Education, and we gave you cost of living for this year, and that should be enough - but of course it's not - we could make the budget 100% Education and it wouldn't be enough for them) -

Even diehard Liberals (Garrison Keilor) and Conservatives (Jason Lewis - a former talk show host and coworker of Jesse's) had to admit some of his ideas were great - and it was refreshing to not have a Politican in office as opposed to that pussy Skip Humphrey who's sole purpose in his pursuit of tobacco litigation was to get his name in the papers for his Governor run that Jesse snapped off.

I'd feel bad if we had elected the Terminator to office, though - LOL - that's actually partially Jesse's fault - California, I'm sorry.

RB
Old 11-07-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
right, because repunlicans are so damn tolerant. they shout bible verses condemning us all to hell while conveniently forgetting "judge not, lest ye be judged first".

hey, not all my neighbors are redneck bigots..... just the majority of them!

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue is hypocrisy. I don't hear Republicans running around preaching how tolerant they are. I frequently hear liberals pat themselves on the back for being so incredibly tolerant. Then you go on any message forum or listen to liberals on radio or tv and you hear or read this type of stuff.

If liberals are going to preach tolerance, you better practice it.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:34 PM

I lived in Mounds View during Jesse's reign, and he was a total badass. Stood up for the farmers, worked on exducation.. and the fnuny thing is, for all the liberal bashing he gets, he made a statement in Playboy that most would agree with:

he said that "Religion is a crutch."

haha, whiskey, all I can really remember about him is the fact that he would incessantly nod his head, kinda down and sideways at the same time, it was hilarious.