Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:12 PM

Default How long before the forces change?

The way I understand it is that at one point c, the speed of light, wasn't c. It had a different value. I can't remember exactly what "setting" of one of the forces caused c to be what it was. From what i understand as the universe expanded the "settings" changed as so did c. At what point in the universes' expansion will the "settings" give?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: How long before the forces change?

[ QUOTE ]
The way I understand it is that at one point c, the speed of light, wasn't c. It had a different value. I can't remember exactly what "setting" of one of the forces caused c to be what it was. From what i understand as the universe expanded the "settings" changed as so did c. At what point in the universes' expansion will the "settings" give?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light
Old 11-08-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: How long before the forces change?

I believe the consensus is that it makes little sense for a dimensionful "constant" to change... One can define "c" in various inequivalent ways, by taking the ratio of various observable quantities. Really one needs to specify the change in a dimensionless quantity (like the electromagnetic coupling constant) to have any operational meaning.

There is a brief paper on this here: http://www.arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th...08/0208093.pdf

On a first reading, if you're not too conversant in physics, I recommend going straight to the section "response to criticisms" at the end -- it highlights the main issues. As you can see, this is a somewhat subtle issue that has caused a good deal of confusion with many physicists.