Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:50 PM

Default $50 NL - Ax suited

Ax suited is one of my favourite opening hands unless I have to coldcall a huge bet pf I'll see a flop everytime..

Villain is LAG - most of the rest of the table are playing pretty tight.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($53.95)
Hero ($69.90)
UTG+1 ($41.95)
MP1 ($42.75)
MP2 (Villain)/ ($58.10)
MP3 ($47.05)
CO ($47.20)
Button ($48.45)
SB ($103.60)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 (Villain)/ raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls $3, UTG+1 calls $3.

Flop: ($12.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

I put UTG+1 on KK-TT - + AK-AT but not much else and whatever he has I'm sure the flop just missed him.

Can't narrow Villain as his pf raise is likely a bluff to force me + UTG+1 to fold pf he's loose and could have any 2 cards right now.

Normally I'd raise this flop (I'm liking it a lot) as I'm OOP tho and 1 of my opponents is loose I'm thinking about check/calling a decent raise from Villain or check raising a min raise from either player - hoping to fold out one of them and get this HU for the turn. ...but then I'm first to act and should I really pass up control of the pot?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: $50 NL - Ax suited

[ QUOTE ]
Ax suited is one of my favourite opening hands unless I have to coldcall a huge bet pf I'll see a flop everytime..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem with playing A rag suited all the time. You get yourself into pots where you are drawing against better hands. Not a good place to be.

Against two opponents, one of which you read for a good hand you are most likely going to be raised. A semi bluff will probably not work here. As such your best line may be check fold.

Or you could donk bet and price yourself into the pot where you are most likely a 3-1 dog at best. Your call.

My advice is fold preflop.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My advice is fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold to a raise/reraise preflop or all together?

I like limping with those hands.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 PM

raising UTG with A8s is a big leak.

Calling a reraise OOP with A8s is a bigger leak.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. Fold in EP if your playing full ring. I sometimes can't resist limping, but I am not bringing it in for a raise here.

I raise with this hand in 6 max when I am on the CO or button. Not good OOP.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! Maybe the worst part about this is that one of the reasons AK can be so profitable on low stakes tables is all the fish who make the mistake of playing A9 to a UTG raiser. You just made that very, very common mistake a correct move to make against you in this hand. Besides that, if there happens to be a good player to your left that picks up a real hand he can kill your chances of a multi way pot by re-raising to isolate you (I would do that after seeing this one show down). Furthermore, unless you are on a ridiculously loose-passive table, even playing A8s at all, out of position is a major leak.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This time I really agree. What happens in this hand if the flop comes A72 in this hand?
Old 11-07-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why raising OOP PF with A8s is a leak. I figure that the only pots A8s will win are when I improve to a nut flush - and am not beaten by a full house. So I will win roughly 1 time in 20 if it gets to SD.

If I flop a flush draw I win 1 in 3.

My plan with Ax suited is to see the flop - as cheaply as possible - and if I like the flop then continue betting - otherwise fold the hand.

If I flop a draw and the 2 cards on the flop of my suit have a low value then I guesstimate that one of my opponents maybe on worse flush draw than I am Q10 K9 maybe - if that IS the case then I am getting paid off BIGtime if the flush hits.

I try to limit this play against loose opponents only - If I'm raised by a tight player PF its an easy fold that only costs me 1 BB,

I rarely if ever limp - and never limp from EP.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:20 PM

How do you feel about raising in late position with Ax or Ax suited, with only a few limpers in front of you?

Generally I try and just take down the pot pre-flop in these spots, or steal it on the flop with a continuation bet.

With Ax suited and lots of limpers, I tend to check in LP, hoping for a flush or flush draw.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This time I really agree. What happens in this hand if the flop comes A72 in this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming the 72 are diamonds then no worries - I still hit my flush draw - so I can carry on playing as long as I think my opponents are loose or trying to bluff me. If the flop has less than 2 diamonds - check/fold.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My plan with Ax suited is to see the flop - as cheaply as possible - and if I like the flop then continue betting - otherwise fold the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I rarely if ever limp - and never limp from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two statements taken together are mutually exclusive. Limping in would be seeing the flop as cheaply as possible. Raising with them is KILLING your implied odds.

In this hand you broke all kinds of your own rules...you called a large reraise as well....nobody with a hand that is ahead of your A8 on the flop is going to let you draw cheaply, and if they have somethng like KK or QQ they aren't going to give you any action if an A flops...