Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Boat but no raise...how bad is this?

table was very loose passive, something like 40%/.07%/.4

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Anything wrong with this limp here?

Flop: (5 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

I know I won't take the pot here because of how loose the table is, but I did expect to thin the field a bit, hoping for other Q's to fold and to possibly buy the button for the later streets. (i'm folding to a c/r here)

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Interesting. I thought about checking and I'm thinking that everyone here will say it's the right move, but if I check, I don't get any information at all from anybody's hands. Nobody showing strength yet, is the table so passive that nobody would lead out here with an A or c/r it at least? (I'm still folding to a c/r)

River: (8.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Standard call at the end?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Boat but no raise...how bad is this?

It looks good to me.

Preflop is borderline, I think. I probably would have folded.

I like the flop bet. I probably would peel versus a raise or checkraise instead of folding, though.

Good turn bet. You may have the best hand. (You may have gotten called on the flop by some combination of diamonds, gutshots, 7's, worse jacks, and pocket pairs, for instance.) At this point, though, I would fold to a raise or checkraise.

On the river, I like going for overcalls.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Boat but no raise...how bad is this?

The flop and turn are standard for me. MHIG often and I don't want to give free cards to Loose Passives on that board.

I think the river is an interesting opportunity for a raise to fold out other Jacks and get more value from weaker pairs. UTG would have raised the turn if he held an Ace. The only hands that beat you are KK or QQ or would have shown some more action on the river. Still, I like a call for overcalls and to avoid getting 3-bet.