Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 04:41 AM

Default The types/dynamics within a band...

I've been in a few, and hung out with one or two. Here's what the members of a band are like, in my small experience

Singer - usually laid back, a little lazy, tends to be pushed around by the guitar/bass guys

Guitarist - Thinks he's pretty much in charge, usually an okay guy, can have a little ego. Wants to be the singer, often, but can't sing.

Bass - EITHER a zombed-out nodder who does what he's told OR thinks/is the driving force/ideas man who drives the band (and conflicts with the guitarist on this matter). Usually happy where he is, but sometimes wants to be the lead guitarist or even singer.

Drummer - Plain nuts if they're any good. Often fights (and I mean fists) with the bass player (as the bass player is usually the quickest one to criticise inconsistent rhythm, poor drumming + stuff). Usually the real fun guy when not playing.

This is my very limited personal experience, of course.

Any of you guys in/been in bands? If so, what's your experience of how bands are?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Re: The types/dynamics within a band...

From my experience, the guitarist and drummer are usually the founding members, and the best talentwise.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Bass - EITHER a zombed-out nodder who does what he's told OR thinks/is the driving force/ideas man who drives the band (and conflicts with the guitarist on this matter). Usually happy where he is, but sometimes wants to be the lead guitarist or even singer.

Drummer - Plain nuts if they're any good. Often fights (and I mean fists) with the bass player (as the bass player is usually the quickest one to criticise inconsistent rhythm, poor drumming + stuff). Usually the real fun guy when not playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on. I would add that the Bass player is usually the least social and most likely to become a serial killer and agree that the drummer is likely nuts, the degree to which is proportional to his skill level.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Spot on. I would add that the Bass player is usually the least social and most likely to become a serial killer and agree that the drummer is likely nuts, the degree to which is proportional to his skill level.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe. I'm a bass player...
Old 11-07-2005, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is funny [censored]! (and no offense intended [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 11-07-2005, 05:20 AM

in the bands I've been in and the bands my friends are in, here are the profiels I've come up with:

lead guitarrist: ego-driven sometimes prick. Usually plays the most outside of the band and has the most drive. Thinks that complications are the key to good music and that he must solo a lot.

lead singer: in my bands this has been whoever plays an instrument and can sing the best of the three or four of us. I don't have any real experience here. In my friends bands, this is the one with the most passion. Generally likes the music the most, is the craziest on stage, and is really the soul of the band

bassist: generally bastards who think they know more about music than they do and that they should tell everyone else what to do. Sometimes they are content to stay in their place but often they are not which can be very annoying. Antisocial, etc. usually describes it too

rhythm guitarrist: thinks he's in it for the chicks, which he never gets. wishes he was the lead guitarrist but can b arely play his own instrument so is content to stay in his place. Usually a nice, reasonable dude.

drummer: your description is spot on. The crazy one. The most fun to hang out with outside the band, often the dumbest, and sometimes the one with the most talent. Drummers kick ass.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is funny [censored]! (and no offense intended [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh none taken. I play guitar too, but much preferred the bass in a band.

Less pressure, more time to pose and show ya biceps, have fun with the drummer onstage with syncopation (sp?) and stuff, check the audience etc etc

Also, I might add, I never, ever met a drummer I didn't like pretty much immediately. Oh, and drummers are psycho fighters.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I might add, I never, ever met a drummer I didn't like pretty much immediately. Oh, and drummers are psycho fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. They seem to be great guys and very likeable. Nuts can be a good thing. And as for fighting ... a drummer is usually the best guy to have on your side.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow!
I hate bass players! I guess you are an exception.
I am a drummer...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:00 AM

I was the lazy bass player. Never got in a fistfight with the drummer, but I could see it happening. We shot each other with paintballs on numerous occaisions.