Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Default The Real Threat (WMDs)

The President has somewhat succeeded lately in diverting media attention from Iraq to the bird flu. That's a small political victory for a President and a party that desperately needs it after six years of miscues, but neither Iraq nor the nebulous bird flu is much of a threat to the U.S.

What is a major threat to our way of life is unsecured WMDs in Russia and other former Soviet-bloc countries. Fortunately, Ted Turner (that liberal pussy) is directing attention to this issue through speeches, articles, and his work as co-chair of the Nuclear Threat Initiative (nti.org). NTI is a private organization that actively works to secure and dismantle WMDs around the world.

The main problem now is that the dismantling of WMDs in Russia is being delayed because American contractors are not allowed to go in and dismantle the weapons unless Russia meets certain human-rights obligations. I don't know why the dismantling of WMDs is tied to compliance with human-rights obligations, but they are and the delays caused by these regulations are endangering our way of life in the U.S. more than Iraq or the bird flu ever will.

Read this link to learn more

It's too bad our president has gotten us into this Iraq mess and gives ridiculous speeches about a non-existant bird flu when he could be directing attention to the real threat that unsecured WMDs poise to our country.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: The Real Threat (WMDs)

It's funny... lots of liberals were condemning him before for failing to address the possibility of pandemic flu. In any case, what exactly do you propose to do about Russian nukes? And how is it incompatible with addressing bird flu?
Old 11-06-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's funny... lots of liberals were condemning him before for failing to address the possibility of pandemic flu.

[/ QUOTE ]

bobman, key thought: "Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't."

"Get out in front" of anything and you're Chicken Little.

Don't do something and, "Well, why didn't he..."

Why does anyone want that job? Maybe we should follow Somalia's ideas.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's funny... lots of liberals were condemning him before for failing to address the possibility of pandemic flu. In any case, what exactly do you propose to do about Russian nukes? And how is it incompatible with addressing bird flu?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure the president can address the bird flu. But, give it the attention it deserves. Address it once and never mention it again.

Unsecured WMDs in Russia are the current real and potentially devasting threat to the American way of life. Focus attention on that issue and work to remove regulations that are hindering our disarmement initiatives.

Instead, anytime a reporter asks Bush a question about Iraq or something of consequene, he starts spouting off about the bird flu. It's almost as if he only has enough brain capacity to keep a single issue in his bird-sized brain at any one time.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unsecured WMDs in Russia are the current real and potentially devasting threat to the American way of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was "current" quite a few years ago. After The Wall came down and after all the countries with Soviet military facilities and weaponry caches broke off on their own. Add to that, the "free market opportunity" that was suddenly available to those able to get their hands on the crap.

It's been the subject of quite a few news stories. Nobody in DC, at least nobody I've noticed, seems overly concerned about the "devastating threat."
Old 11-06-2005, 05:29 PM

The Spanish flu killed 18 million people during WWI.

Still not worried about the bird flu?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Still not worried about the bird flu?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did people even know to wash their hands back then?

I'll start worrying about the bird flu on the day when I walk outside and see a bunch of dead birds on my lawn. Until then, it's just a diversionary tactic used by Bush to take attention away from real and current threats.

I guess it's a safe topic for Bush because even he can't screw it up because it doesn't exist yet. It's not surprising that a chikenhawk like Bush would take the coward's way out and talk about non-existant threats instead of tackling the ones that currently exist head on.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this was "current" quite a few years ago. After The Wall came down and after all the countries with Soviet military facilities and weaponry caches broke off on their own. Add to that, the "free market opportunity" that was suddenly available to those able to get their hands on the crap.

It's been the subject of quite a few news stories. Nobody in DC, at least nobody I've noticed, seems overly concerned about the "devastating threat."

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they're not worried about it because a nuclear bomb hasn't been detonated on American soil, yet. Luckily, we have real American heroes like Ted Turner working to secure these weapons so that this will never happen. Meanwhile, Bush is continuing his legacy of fighting non-existant threats (guarding the Gulf Coast during Vietnam, wasting $300 billion and thousands of American lives in a hapless attempt to eradicate imaginary WMDs in Iraq) by focussing all of America's attention on the bird flu.

If you are a true-blue chickenhawk like Bush, I guess the bird flu is a realt threat, though.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's funny... lots of liberals were condemning him before for failing to address the possibility of pandemic flu

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the problem, the Spanish flu effected humans.
The bird flu effects birds.

So far, only 62 cases of humans being killed by the bird flu has happened, these were all in China, and the people practically lived, breathed, and slept with chickens.

So when the bird flu ever shows an ability to jump to humans, then it might be time to worry (about the chinese).