Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Calling a draw with short/med stack...

In general, is it wise to call on a draw with a short or medium sized stack even if you are getting proper odds, pot or implied? What's your minimum requirement in this case as far as what type of draw?

Here is the hand that made me contemplate this topic:

Live MTT, Blinds T100/200

Relevant players/position/stack:
UTG: T12,000
Villain (button): T2,800
Hero (BB): T3,100

Table has been playing moderately loose. UTG has been playing very loose and been getting very lucky. Villain has been playing moderately aggressive and been making solid value bets and getting called. Hero has been playing very tight.

Pre-flop:
UTG limps for T200. Table folds to villain who raises to 600. SB folds to hero who picks up K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero calls 600, as does UTG.

Flop (pot = T1900):
J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, as does UTG. Villain bets T1,000. Hero thinks for a bit then calls. UTG folds.

Turn (pot = 3900):
3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks to villain who goes all in for T1,200. Hero thinks for a long time before calling. Villain turns up A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with the nut flush. Hero is drawing dead.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Calling a draw with short/med stack...

With a hand like this and a stack as such, there is no way I'm going to be calling this down hoping to hit. I'm perfectly happy to get all the money in on the flop with my 14 outs (I realize that in truth you have only 6 outs, but if you hadn't posted the results of the hand, we wouldn't know that).