Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Flop a Flush

A spot to not play aggressive? Overcall ?

I don't have a hand that desires isolation?

Texas Hold'em $1-$1 NL (real money), #1,437,270,006
Table Springfield, 4 Nov 2005 5:20 PM ET
Seat 1: ALMOST7X ($102 in chips)
Seat 2: acesinmysock ($120.15 in chips)
Seat 3: cobymav12 ($49.50 in chips)
Seat 4: cope14 ($98.35 in chips)
Seat 5: HERO ($100 in chips)
Seat 6: x Ewl ($18.95 in chips)
Seat 7: Sanderson20 ($37.10 in chips)
Seat 8: Plato9159 ($49 in chips)
Seat 9: mephime ($103.50 in chips)
Seat 10: jules zz ($83.50 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
cope14 posts blind ($0.50), HERO posts blind ($1).

PRE-FLOP
x Ewl folds, Sanderson20 folds, Plato9159 calls $1, mephime folds, jules zz folds, ALMOST7X folds, acesinmysock folds, cobymav12 folds, cope14 calls $0.50, HERO Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] checks.

FLOP [board cards 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
cope14 checks, HERO checks, Plato9159 bets $2, cope14 calls $2, HERO calls $2.

TURN [board cards 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
cope14 bets $3, HERO calls $3, Plato9159 bets $12, cope14 calls $9, HERO calls $9.

RIVER [board cards 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ,3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
cope14 checks, HERO checks, Plato9159 bets $34 and is all-in, cope14 folds, HERO calls $34.

SHOWDOWN

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wins $111.
SUMMARY
Dealer: cobymav12
Pot: $113, (including rake: $2)
Old 11-04-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Flop a Flush

I wouldn't have let that runner runner hit though. I would have raised that turn if not the flop. Especially with Plato's turn bet he may have called a raise allin on the turn anyway.

Probably would have had to call that river though--too easy for him to be on a total bluff or have just a lone six.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:48 PM

Raise that turn. There are no cards (that you want to see) on the river that will make anyone a hand good enough to call your river push. If anyone is coming along for the ride, they will call your turn bet.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:56 PM

You have one of the best flops you can hope for with this hand... which is a little vulnerable... yet you play it passively keeping the pot smaller and letting any manner of junk get cards cheaply.

Ugg.

Either bet the flop... or checkraise the flop. Having missed that opportunity... bet the turn, reraise... whatever. There's no reason you shouldn't be all in on the turn here.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have let that runner runner hit though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a couple of straights and flushes get run over by miracle boats recently (my flopped straight vs. a donk with A7 who flopped a pair of sevens, then hit runner-runner aces.) I understand the concern.

That said, is your line always to try and take it down with a high made flush on the flop or turn? Our hand isn't vulnerable here until the board pairs. It's not like we have a straight with two of suit on board, see the flush draw as a threat, and try and take it down. Should we really be worried about the boat hitting enough to end the hand before the board can pair? I think calling down and betting/raising the river makes us the most money in the long run here.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:07 PM

The odds of someone with set hitting their boat or quads by the river are between 3 and 4 to 1. Small bets in a multi-way pot make it +EV for villain to call. (Of course if you will pay him if the board pairs, then villain is getting great implied odds here).

The reasoning behind betting strong is to force your opponents to make mistakes, not give them the proper odds to draw out and hope it doesn't happen. Others can explain this better.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, is your line always to try and take it down with a high made flush on the flop or turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

The line is not specifically to take it down... its to get the most money you can while you're ahead AND forcing your opponents to make bad plays. If you take it down, good. If they call with improper odds. Good. (they may suckout and win this hand, but the fact that have proven they have NO idea about odds shows in the long run, you should be happy to be in the hand with them.)

If you give them free cards, they are not 'sucking out' out on you. They are playing perfectly.

All the time I curse at idiots who underbet a pot... I'm talking people who bet .50 into a $10 pot. If I have nothing but an inside straight draw, I'm calling since the donkeys are giving me correct odds to call.

If you have the best hand and give someone the correct odds to see the next card that can beat you; you are hurting yourself.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:56 PM

Looks like I briefly forgot how to play when I replied...thanks for the reminder.

I also forgot my opponents were calling my pot-sized bets when they drew out on me. Oh well.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:59 PM

I would push on the turn here. someone could have flopped a set or could be sticking around with K of clubs
Old 11-05-2005, 12:00 AM

you played your hand card by card, instead of a plan and changing it according to the situation.
if you are going to win something in a hand like this it is early on. like on the flop. you may get the lone king to call or two pair or trips
anything else is justgiving free cards to have a chance to outplay you or outdraw you.
if you play it early you may still get away from it when it is obvious you are beat.
how about maybe check raising on the flop 50 bucks, making them think you may have the king and trying to win it there. you do that sometimes dont you. or something else creative.