Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 03:55 PM

Default I bet the nuts on the turn, and get raised by a Donkey. I...?($25 NL)

Villian is an ijit, and makes incredibly irrational raises and bets(sometimes with complete trash). I want his stack really really bad. What should I do here to get it?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 ($24.10)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($24.91)</font>
Button ($25)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($30.65)</font>
BB ($32.68)
UTG ($23.20)
UTG+1 ($24.65)
MP1 ($26.95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls $0.40, BB calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($1.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, Hero ???
Old 11-04-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: I bet the nuts on the turn, and get raised by a Donkey. I...?($25

reraise to 10, push a blank river.

Default Re: I bet the nuts on the turn, and get raised by a Donkey. I...?($25 NL)

Raises to $5 and prays for a re-raise.

Fold PF.

What does his min-raise mean? If it means weak-&gt;air (typically) then call and check/raise river. If it means strong, re-raise, and hope he gets crazy.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:58 PM

Make a pot-sized re-raise.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: I bet the nuts on the turn, and get raised by a Donkey. I...?($25 NL)

I re-raise, perhaps about pot size $5. You definitely don't want to call.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:06 PM

Raise to $6 and hope he comes over the top all-in with a set of Jacks or QJ for 2-pair..

If he just calls, watch out for a flush card on the river. Make a blocking bet and be prepared to fold to a push on a diamond river. Otherwise, with no flush card, plan to check/raise on the river - give him a chance to bet for "value" with a set or 2-pair (in which case your raise might get called), or to bluff at you with a busted draw (in which case he'd have folded to a bet anyway, so at least you picked up the money from his bluff).

In general, however, I don't play KTo in a raised pot out of position, even for a min-raise by an idiot. Even idiots can get a good hand sometimes, and you have a potentially dominated hand with no flush opportunities, out of position, and playing with the non-idiot BB who has position on you and has you covered.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise to $6 and hope he comes over the top all-in with a set of Jacks or QJ for 2-pair..

If he just calls, watch out for a flush card on the river. Make a blocking bet and be prepared to fold to a push on a diamond river. Otherwise, with no flush card, plan to check/raise on the river - give him a chance to bet for "value" with a set or 2-pair (in which case your raise might get called), or to bluff at you with a busted draw (in which case he'd have folded to a bet anyway, so at least you picked up the money from his bluff).

In general, however, I don't play KTo in a raised pot out of position, even for a min-raise by an idiot. Even idiots can get a good hand sometimes, and you have a potentially dominated hand with no flush opportunities, out of position, and playing with the non-idiot BB who has position on you and has you covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, so people don't like this preflop call [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Got a problem with KTs, or KJo? I don't like laying down any hands really like this, because it's so easy to get away from if I don't get something I like [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I kinda play laggy though and need to show a bit more discipline in this area I guess...

Thank you for the replies everyone.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, so people don't like this preflop call [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Got a problem with KTs, or KJo? I don't like laying down any hands really like this, because it's so easy to get away from if I don't get something I like [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I kinda play laggy though and need to show a bit more discipline in this area I guess...

Thank you for the replies everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's exactly the opposite situation. You don't play K-10 or K-J for a raise there because it isn't easy to get away from that hand. Most of the time, you are either going to win a small pot or lose a large one to someone who has you outkicked or has spiked two pair. You had one of the few instances where you're fortunate enough to have hit your monster hand.

Otherwise, in that situation, definitely push up to $5 or $6. Hopefully you'll get a reraise all in, but prepare to put a value bet in on the river of 1/3 to 1/2 of the pot. Be careful if the flush card comes on the river, but be more careful if the board pairs, especially if it is a Q or J.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:29 PM

I probably play a little too tight, but I hate playing easily dominated hands OOP.

In this situation I fold everything except TT+, KQs+, and AQ+. If he raised a little more I would tighten up to QQ+ and AK. If someone is too tight then lemme know.

Of course if the guy has 19% preflop raise or some astronomical number then I'll loosen up considerably.