Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 AM

Default KJs blind war

Three-handed with a good player and a decent player. This is the kind of situation I should be looking to avoid.

Button folds and I raise the SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The BB, the better of my two opponents, three-bets. He'd do this with a big range of hands, probably any Ace, any pair, probably two broadway cards.

I call, which could be a problem. Does anyone cap here? I play with this guy all the time.

Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. In some ways, this flop is more likely to have hit me than him.

I check and call.

Turn is an A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I check-fold.

I feel lke this kind of hand is coming up a lot, and I'm not winning it. When I bet that scare card, I feel like I'll get raised consistently if he has any pair. If he has a pair other than the ace, he'll check behind on the river. Basically, he's seeing a showdown.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: KJs blind war

I don't think I would cap given the range you put BB on. He has a decent equity edge here.

Flop is good for you.

I would c/r the flop and lead the turn, for sure.

I'll release the hand if I get raised on the turn or if my c/r gets 3-bet.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll release the hand if I get raised on the turn or if my c/r gets 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Release it on the flop? I think there's an excellent chance I'm drawing live. He doesn't need aces to three-bet a flop checkraise.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:51 AM

Yeah - you're right. Folding to the 3-bet on the flop would be pretty weak. I would call that and re-evaluate on the turn.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:52 AM

The answer is entirely opponent specific and you haven't given enough information about the villain to allow meaningful answers. You say the BB is "good," but there are many kinds of good players. I want to know what he'd 3-bet with here preflop (which you did give some info about), how often he folds to a flop c/r and turn bet vs. a turn c/r, how often he'll go to showdown HU with a strong A or a med. PP, whether he's likely to bluff re-raise, etc., etc. It's also going to be dependent on your particular history with the BB.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how often he folds to a flop c/r and turn bet vs. a turn c/r, how often he'll go to showdown HU with a strong A or a med. PP,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's folding a pocket pair, at all maybe. It would have to be a very scary board. I also seriously doubt he'll fold AK or AQ.

[ QUOTE ]
whether he's likely to bluff re-raise, etc., etc. It's also going to be dependent on your particular history with the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think he's going to bluff re-raise. As for our history, I don't want to give too little or too much credit but I think he and I have a history of playing with each other.

He probably sees me as a LAG, to be brutally honest, and like I said in my other post I'm not sure he's wrong. He's prone to calling me down on a rag board if he's got a big ace I think, and def. a pair.

In some ways, I'm less concerned with this specific hand than sort of how generally to deal with these situations. But in HUSH play, maybe that's nto possible. "Standard lines" don't seem to apply here.

Suffice to say, I really doubt he'll fold any pair and maybe not AK.