Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:21 AM

Default 6-max question

Maybe I'm just bad at playing overs when they don't hit, but I've crushed my last couple of 6-max sessions when I am mostly limping hands like KTs, AJo etc. and then playing them aggressively when they hit and folding when they don't. When I auto-raise these hands and get three or four cold-callers, which is pretty common at .5/1 6-max, they don't hit, and everybody checks, I feel obligated to bet with as little as a bdfd with my overs. There's the argument that them calling with dominated hands pf is making me money, but when three or four cold-call, I can't put them on a hand when unders flop, or am more unsure about my hand with many in the flop and I have just overs. Am I crazy or is limping with some normally raising hands good for deception purposes in 6-max where you get to know players a little better cause you're playing more hands faster?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: 6-max question

[ QUOTE ]
I feel obligated to bet with as little as a bdfd with my overs

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not a preflop thing
Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my last couple of 6-max sessions

[/ QUOTE ]
raise preflop.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:18 AM

It's tough to make up the pre-flop value you pass on by not raising your good hands, especially shorthanded and especially when people will cold-call with total shat that's easily dominated.

Rather than limping with these hands, work on making the best play you can when the flop misses you.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:41 AM

so let me get this straight:

let's just say you open fold when you miss.

invest 2Sbs + 3-4 coldcallers= increased pot when you hit: 4sb

when you miss: open fold loss of -2sbs.

just in preflop alone you have doubled your initial investment. not to mention the times you fold a weaker Ace that would have hit their 3-outer or have people fold when they miss or you hit on the turn make the pot even bigger.

get beyond preflop to see it is miniscule compared to postflop. deception is crap at .5/1 when people play the 2 cards in front of them and don't think beyond.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:01 PM

To elaborate even playing only a "hit or miss" strategy is +EV. This is my only actual EV calculation, so anyone correct me as necessary.

Investing 2 SB, and the flop hits you 34% of the time with TPTK (A or K) only:
.32(8SB) = 2.5, net +.5/AK

I'm sure I'm going to get ripped apart on this simplistic calculation, so let me state:

This does not even have the other +EV factors such as winning pre-flop outright, getting an even better flop, a flop when you are dominating another player, when a player flops a draw and you win HU >60% of the time, or when you are in position and the flop misses everyone and your overcards can pick up the pot right there or get a free turn card.

Also, as the pre-flop aggressor, your post-flop aggression is taken more seriously, when you bet out, allowing you to pick up more pots when the flop misses you.

Buzz