Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Question about flopping trip Aces

If you happen to flop trip aces in position against 1 or two opponents(with fairly equal chip stacks to yours) on a faily drawless board, what's the best line in order to extract the most if it's checked to you?

Of course a lot of factors go into this decision, and this statement is fairly general, but usually if your HU's you won't get much action with trip aces unless someone goes agro with a smaller pair, hits a lower set, pays off some with TPTK, or they outflop you. So to be a little more specific let's say the following occurs.

UTG+1 raises 4xBB (100bb stack)
UTG+2 calls (100bb stack)
Your in CO with black bullets and raise to 12xBB (100b stack)
Both call.

Flop comes: A78 rainbow

It's checked to you, what's your line?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Question about flopping trip Aces

I like betting 1/2 pot. If you had some hand which missed the flop like that, betting be a normal play. Checking would seem suspicious, as the normal play would be to bet, given that you have position and raised pre-flop. Everyone expects you to bet, so bet. If you get no action, you probably wouldn't have gotten action anyway. If you are going to get action, then get it immediately.

If you had something like JJ and the flop came Jxx, I could see checking and hoping for an overcard, but in the situation you gave, there's not much chance that checking will help you I don't think.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:11 PM

I wasn't really considering checking as an option, but more likely is it worth it to just 1/2 pot, full pot, or even feign weakness and 1/4 pot (worse of 3?) <-- I guess this depends on table image and what not.

I'm primarily asking because I typically play 5/3 or 5/2 live, but recently played some 5/10 live and ran into a similar situation. I had been playing pretty tight and I know others noticed this because - well - I wasn't playing any hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I 1/4 potted it hoping this might look like QQ or KK since I didn't really have any solid reads on villians yet, other than UTG+2 was a bit aggresive. In the hand I was in, UTG+1 folded and UTG+2 called. Turn came a 6
and he pushed all-in. I called and he flipped over 22. Again a lot of factors go into this decision, but is 1/4 pot ever a consideration in this situation. It's not my standard line so I was curious what other thought.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 AM

Since you reraised preflop, you pretty much have to bet out to protect the times that you reraise preflop and DON'T flop a set of aces. Reraise preflop, you should autobet. If you get called, you can "nervously" check.

If you had put in the first raise preflop, not the second, then you could consider getting fancy on the flop, checking, betting "too small", etc.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:22 AM

i like making a bet of 1/4 pot here. it gives your opponents to take one off cheaply, or raise you if they think you're weak....then make a big bet on the turn...
Old 11-04-2005, 12:49 AM

3/4-pot. I bet 3/4 pot every time I reraise preflop unless I really suspect something tricky.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like making a bet of 1/4 pot here. it gives your opponents to take one off cheaply, or raise you if they think you're weak....then make a big bet on the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, so you 1/4th pot the flop, then the turn comes off some random blank .... and then you wake up?? hello?? monster hand alert!!