Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Does anybody try and pick up this pot with a flop bet?

Anybody play this differently? -- opponents are unknown. Anybody stab at the flop and then take another stab on a non [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn? What kind of opponents would you do this against with 4 people in if so?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds
Old 11-02-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Does anybody try and pick up this pot with a flop bet?

I would limp on the preflop and either way bet the flop when checked to.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would limp on the preflop and either way bet the flop when checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have this hand backwards. preflop raise is good, flop check is good.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:41 AM

Yeah, I'd probably take a stab, though I'd prefer to have at least one fewer opponent. Monotone flops tend to scare people, and my opponents probably won't think I whiffed as badly as I did.

I'm not going to be particularly surprised if I get checkraised, though. And even if I just get called, there's a good chance I'll give up on the turn. (Heads-up I might fire again, on a non-club or on a club.)
Old 11-02-2005, 06:31 AM

In this situation I often find myself firing on both the flop and turn(assuming no turn [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]). I think you are being called by a FD often enoungh. In this situation you are in position so it's easy to check through the river. I just realized I do the same think when OOP. That puts me in a tough spot on the river because that means I should be check-calling anyone with the slightest bit of aggression.

Hum, maybe OOP it is best to play it like Hero and just give up control ultimaltly folding the majority of the time UI. What do you think about firing on both the flop and turn when you have position though checking the river. This is assuming no other [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] of course. EDIT: This is also assuming we are HU on the turn, maybe two others total but that may be pushing it.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:37 AM

I may take a stab on the flop. That would be the end of it.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kristin Kreuk
Old 11-02-2005, 07:00 AM

Personally, I've found it profitable when there are three people. I typically like to have some kind of read that they are going to fold. But, I don't do a lot of bluffing. I rarely bluff with 4+ people. This might be worth a stab though with reads.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:16 AM

Damn, anyone else hate the forum update where you go back to the thread after typing out something in the reply box, go back to the reply box and what you typed out has disappeared? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I'm guessing a check is best on the flop but others have said a bet is best so I'm probably wrong. I don't think we're taking it down 1 in 9 times and the chance for a free card seems risky when we're likely to be checkraised.

Is this preflop raise standard for everyone against unknowns? I think I'd want a loose read before I raised, and would limp otherwise.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:04 AM

Fold preflop - what do you hope for with 2 limpers?
Bet postflop (if call) - your only chance. By checking you give ppl chance to get 4th club, king, whatever...
Old 11-02-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop - what do you hope for with 2 limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]
What you hope for? Players limping with KT-JT, Ax. We're also in decent shape against any PP that limps here, 99-22 will often fold the flop for a bet when it comes several overcards. By raising we're putting the pressure to hit the flop on them etc. And we're almost never dominated here. Easy preflop raise.