Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:31 PM

Default specific questions about Ed Miller GSIH short stack strategy

I'm getting back to my roots in NL, I've read the Ed Miller chapter on short stacks, and have perused through the several threads about the subject here at 2+2.

I am trying to learn the miller strategy and try it out down to the word for a little bit, and then try out some variations of my own.

I have a few specific questions, and more to come. Here are the first:

1) How do you define a "raise"? For example lets consider two scenarios preflop. In the first scenario the player after the BB raises 2xBB, and then the player after him reraises 2xBB. In the second scenario, the player after the BB raises 8xBB. So in the first scenario there were was a raise and a reraise, and the second scenario there was a single raise. Do we still consider the reraise scenario as more scary than the single raise scenario? How do we quantify the raise level? In limit this is easy because each raise is a specific amount. In NL this is fuzzy. Should I consider anything larger than a 3x BB raise to be a raise? So in scenario 1 that would be considered as a single raise, same with scenario 2.

2) Postflop, Miller suggests that if you are going to not fold or check, that you should go all in. Many people at 2+2 believe in betting pot. Others believe in betting 0.50 to 0.75 of the pot. What exactly should the betting strategy be? - I am thinking that you should go all in only if you believe strongly that you will win if you SD right then. You should bet pot if you have a marginal hand or if you are bluffing / stealing pot from late. Otherwise check/fold.

3) This is more of a generic question. Does BB/hr generated from PT include rake? My guess is not. Hence if over 5000 hands I am down $25 on $25 NL on Party, then my BB/hr is between 0 and 2 (because rake causes it to decrease by a few BB/hr)? So this would mean that rake is killing me? So even if I am 4 BB/hr, rake will reduce that to maybe 1 BB/hr?

More questions to come later as I read, try, and learn. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: specific questions about Ed Miller GSIH short stack strategy

1) I consider a raise a raise and a re-raise a re-raise no matter what the amounts are. When someone re-raises, they like their hand despite the fact someone has already raised, that's generally not a good thing for you.

2) Typically when you see a flop using a short stack strategy an all-in flop bet will be close to a pot-sized bet anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
Many people at 2+2 believe in betting pot. Others believe in betting 0.50 to 0.75 of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these people talking about short stack strategy or normal NL strategy?

3) The PT BB/hr number is your actual BB/hr, the rake has been factored into generating that number.