Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 12:24 PM

Default OVERPAIR AGAINST EXTREMELY PASSIVE PLAYER

Hero has an aggressive image and is known to make many continuation bets. Villain is as passive as they come. He NEVER raises preflop & NEVER raises post-flop until the river (in which case he always raises all in w/ the nuts or near nets). He does actually bet but usually won't bet with less than top pair and is known to slow play big hands. In short, he is a horrible player ut is very frustrating to play against becase you neve know where you're at.

$10 SNG home game, started with 6, down to 5, starting cip count of 1500

Blinds:25/50, being raised every 20 minutes

Hero is SB with QsQc ($1500)
Villain is CO ($1700)

Action: 1 fold,Villain Calls, button folds, Hero raises to $200, BB folds, Villain calls

Flop:JdTd4d ($450)
Action: Hero bets 450, Villain calls
I was hoping to just take the pot down right here or at least offer my opponent improper drawing odds. My opponent could have a very wide range of hands here is he will sometimes call a flop bet by me with any pair or A high.

Turn:9c
Action: Hero pushes all in ($850)
My thinking at the time was that I wanted to end all action. Any bet made me pot committed and I didn't want him to outdraw me. It was a bet designed to protect my hand. I didn't want to give any free cards on that board and the pot was big enough to take down right there. I also tend to play a little looser because it only cost $10 but I would like to change this habit. I also picked up a couple possible outs w/ an OESD.

Anyone play the hand differently? Looking back on it I am wondering if a check-call on the turn would have been more appropriate. It risks giving a free card but also allows me to get away from my hand.