Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 03:46 AM

Default BB vs SB Raise HU. What do you three bet with?

Against an opponent of average or unknown aggression, I'll usually three bet with 88+, A7s, A9o, KTs, KTo, or QJ or better. I'll adjust up or down from around there depending on opponent reads. (1/2)

What do you usually three bet with? (and at what limit are you refering to if it makes a difference.)

Discuss.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Re: BB vs SB Raise HU. What do you three bet with?

It depends who is to my right. I try to keep loose players there, but they may be aggressive or passive. Against passive players I 3-bet only stronger holdings - about the range you suggest. Against looser stealers I 3-bet liberally; it can really work to help keep players from wanting to steal your BB. I'd say something like 55 or 66+, A7s+, A8o+, K9s+, KTo+, QJ+, and maybe JTs if they are the folding type. Remember that unlike in most blind battles you will have position, so you can open up a little more. I use the latter range against unknowns.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:32 AM

this has been bothering me. especially QJ and QT hands. I hate 3 betting when my opponent is taking any A to showdown. I'd rather conceal my hand. I'm really not sure which is correct though. Thoughts?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:01 AM

I would consider QJ/QT hands Shania hands. 3-betting and calling with them probably have very close value in this situation, but doing do increases the value of your other hands because it gives your opponent a wider range to put you on, so he can't read you as well. I would adjust my postflop play with these hands against players that show down any Ace. I would start checking the turn more often with air instead of semibluffing, and value betting my marginal hands on every street.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:09 AM

I pretty much 3 bet any ace and any 2 broadways. I don't semi-bluff many turns if they call the flop.

What is more interesting is how to spot blind battle bluffs on the flop? I do a lot of guessing (perhaps educated guessing based on player/table reads) and am probably right 40 -60% of the time, which is really good. (%'s may be wishful thinking) But what is troubling is that I really don't have a system for choosing when to re-raise the flop, call and raise the turn, fold, call down.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:24 AM

I feel like a discussion about 3-betting is incomplete without further comment about what you are willing to call. (I assume that we're discussing what action to take when the sb open-raises.)

Are people calling with most other hands not specifically mentioned above?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:34 AM

In the BB, against an SB raise, I will call everything but complete trash hands. I raise a LOT against aggressive players. It is so read dependent its hard to come up with a range, but at 10/20 vs an unknown probably any broadway, 98s, K9s, A8, A6s, 22. I am less liberal with the aces for deception.

Generally, people steal too much from the SB and fold too much when 3 bet HU (before they get a read on you, then you can obviously adjust). This is an easy way to exploit both of these. Also, don't forget how much equity you can make up for with position and aggresion HU.

I made these changes about (to loose 3 betting) a month ago, and am very very satisfied with them.