Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Basic 3rd-street Stud/8 question

Suppose I have (4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on third, but there are two sixes dead. Only one other diamond visible. What's my plan on third street? Do I want to build the pot, get other players out, fold, or what?

Here's a specific example (sorry, converter choked on HH) from Paradise 2/4, 0.25 ante:

Seat 1: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ______ folds
Seat 2: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ______ calls
Hero: (5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] _ ???
Seat 4: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 5: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 6: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ______ brings in ($1)
Seat 7: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ______ calls
Seat 8: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ______ calls

Here, I decided to raise and build the pot, since aces and twos are live. I'm unsure whether I should be trying to drive the other lows out of the pot. Although I don't think I've ever seen any low hand, no matter how poor, fold 3rd at this level.

How dead should my straight draw be before I consider limping or folding here instead?

What should I be doing if I am first to act after the bringin?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Basic 3rd-street Stud/8 question

I'd raise. Yes, your straight potential is diminished, but your low potential is still excellent. And if you back into a straight, so much the better. I'd jam if given the chance.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Basic 3rd-street Stud/8 question

In this hand, I don't raise it because of the dead sixes. A fold seems totally crazy to me for one bet.

My intitial reaction to being second in would be to limp because I want lots in, then again if the game is good they may all call anyways, but I'd still limp it because of the dead sixes. My natural (natural as in from playing and reading) is to keep the pot smaller here and see what 4th brings, because your scoop outs are diminished.

Not at all shocked if I'm wrong though, I'm still quite green, you see. I need to read Zee again too.