Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Flop Situation

Full Ring at a nice table with lots of soft spots. I'm in the BB with K7 of diamonds. UTG+2 raised first in, CO coldcalled, and I called. 3 to the flop for 6.5 small bets. The flop was 87J with two diamonds. I'm first to act.

UTG+2 has been raising liberally especially in position. Some of these hands were A6s, 77, KTo. He's also has very good aggression postflop as he continually puts pressure on the other players. However I haven't seen him do anything really crazy. CO is a calling station.

Check or bet?
Old 10-29-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Flop Situation

I guess you're thinking of betting to try and induce a raise from UTG+2 to try and protect what has a reasonable chance of being the best hand from the CO?

If you bet I think UTG+2 is calling a lot, and only raising when you don't want him to. I go for the c/r.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:30 AM

I say keep it simple. You have a strong hand. Strong enough that you don't want to lose value by letting it get checked through. Bet out and see what happens. For the most part, with the pair, overcard, and flush draw, I'd just keep the pedal down at least until you get to the river (calling a turn raise unimproved).
Old 10-29-2005, 08:44 AM

It sounds like if you bet, UTG+2 will raise and CO will call two cold. That gives you the option of 3-betting or just calling and checkraising a diamond or K or 7 turn, or check-calling a brick.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:47 AM

With betting I can have UTG+2 raise (he'll raise here a good amount of times) and hopefully fold the calling station. But with checkraising I can inform UTG+2 that my hand is strong and he should fold his overcards or mid pocket pair. My thining make any sense? I feel if I just bet out UTG+2 is going take control away from me. I guess bet/3-bet is also an option.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:20 PM

Bupm
Old 10-29-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With betting I can have UTG+2 raise (he'll raise here a good amount of times) and hopefully fold the calling station. But with checkraising I can inform UTG+2 that my hand is strong and he should fold his overcards or mid pocket pair. My thining make any sense? I feel if I just bet out UTG+2 is going take control away from me. I guess bet/3-bet is also an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure... but it's first things first. You have to get calling station out of there which will immediately increase your pot equity even if behind. Lead the flop. CRing the flop is only going to tie calling station to the pot.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:01 PM

Bet and 3 bet. Your even money to improve to two pair or better. Check raising builds a big pot as well, however, with this guy raising w/ air by betting into him he may isolate you w/ the best hand and you can win w/ a pair of 8s.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like if you bet, UTG+2 will raise and CO will call two cold. That gives you the option of 3-betting or just calling and checkraising a diamond or K or 7 turn, or check-calling a brick.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. lead the flop, if UTG+2 raises, you don't mind the calling station folding or calling. if you improve on the turn, you can c/r them both. if the calling station folds, you might win UI.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:39 PM

If we lead and we get raised do we feel comfortable calling the river HU UI?