Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Straight vs. river push

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $50NL (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($68.95)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG : (Villain)/ ($56.35)</font>
MP ($65.40)
CO ($17.91)
Button ($52.10)
SB ($214.10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG : (Villain)/ calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $2</font>, Button calls $2, SB folds, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($8) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, Villain calls $21, Button folds.

River: ($68) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villain calls $28.85 (All-In), Hero...

No read on Villain. Not really afraid of big cards since there was no pre-flop raise...I put him on J-x, or maybe Q-x for the straight. Feel free to analyze any streets.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Straight vs. river push

Bet flop. Or, once you check, put in a healthy check-raise. This flop is very draw heavy, and very likely to have hit someone. Do NOT slowplay here.

After board pairs on the turn, I wouldn't c/r. Either lead out, or just c/c. No need to bloat the pot further when you may be drawing dead.

Given your play... I probably call river and hope for the best. If villain is bad, then calling is easily best.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:03 AM

I would try to get more in on the flop with a lead or c/r. Probably lead small and hope to get a raise we can come over the top. The paired J on the turn makes boats from hands like J10 or KJ which may have limped so it's not a great card for you.

As played I probably call the river push only because it's small relative to pot but you lose this more than you win, did you consider leading with a small blocking bet? I guess anything like half his stack would have led villian to come over the top anyway.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:20 AM

Villain held J-9.

Next time I will get more in on flop. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe should've led river too, might've spared me my last few $ if he came back over top...although it would have still been a tough fold w/ no read.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:09 AM

lead the flop. You don't even have the nuts and this is a great board to get some action. But it's also the kind of board that you don't want to see pair up because someone could easily have two pair and fill up. So lead the flop, and lead the turn expecting to fold to a real raise. In fact, lead the turn saying out loud to yourself, "Don't go broke here. Don't go broke here. Fold to a raise. Fold to a raise." If the turn is called, c/c the river, but not a big all-in. As played, I probably call the river because of the way you played the hand and you're getting close to 3:1. But to be honest with you, you played this hand very badly IMO.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the honest analysis.

I find that I'm having trouble making these kinds of decisions while 4-tabling...I do some real fishy stuff every now and then because I'm not thinking. Need to work on that.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:27 PM

This is ugly, bet flop, bet turn, if action gets crazy fold.

You dont even have nut straight. Granted, AQ prob doesnt limp. Still, so many boats are out there, without donk read, you're not wanting to play this for all your money.