Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Heads Up SNGs-Where the real consistent $ is

Finally I have found a system that is bringing in a more consistent flow of $ for me. I've always made lots of $ in poker but it has been rather inconsistent. Some days break even, others hit a MTT or a run of SNGs for a nice payday. Lately, I've been playing the 20s and 50s Heads Up matches on stars and I seem to be doing well. I've found that I can parlay a $20 or $50 Heads up match with 2 $30 SNGs (9 players) and the 9 player games are practically freerolls from the Heads Up profits. Has anyone else tried this? Also, could we turn this thread into a strategy discussion for Heads Up? Any ideas on what a reasonable ROI or ITM is?

One piece of advice I have for Heads up players is to play conservatively off the button and more aggressively on the button. Position is everything.

Look forward to discussion,

Indy
Old 10-10-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Heads Up SNGs-Where the real consistent $ is

[ QUOTE ]
Any ideas on what a reasonable ROI or ITM is?

[/ QUOTE ]

60% seems to be the forum consensus for a good but achievable HU win percentage.

[ QUOTE ]
One piece of advice I have for Heads up players is to play conservatively off the button and more aggressively on the button. Position is everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every strategy has a counter-strategy.

The Shadow
Old 10-10-2005, 05:28 PM

When I am in my "zone" I seem to achieve more than 60% win rate on these. Perhaps its just in my head but 70% may be achievable. Any experiences to prove that?

Indy
Old 10-10-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I am in my "zone" I seem to achieve more than 60% win rate on these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to win more when I'm winning, too. Unfortunately, you have to count the SNGs you play when things aren't going quite so swimmingly.

Indy, if you'd like to run a little experiment for the good of science and this forum (and to help you get a better feel for what to expect), we can play a series of small buy-in HU SNGs against each other and see what happens. We can play 2 at a time and finish 50 matches in a few hours over a couple of days.

We wouldn't be trying to achieve any kind of statistical significance or anything, but it may be interesting to see how well a 70% winner at the $50's (you) would do against a 63% winner at the $50's (me).

Sidebets on the proposition would be welcome, of course.

Irieguy
Old 10-10-2005, 05:38 PM

I suppose it depends on how bad your opponents are (and "what kind of bad" more importantly), but I've never heard any pro claiming that big of an edge heads-up.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:47 PM

wait so do i get points on the dog here? cuz that would be butter
Old 10-10-2005, 05:49 PM

Irie,

I didnt say I was 70% over the long run. Just in my "zone" and I'll admit that the "zone" comes when i've been playing for a few hours and not when I first start up. I would love to play you in some heads up matches to improve my game but I doubt that two regular 2+2ers are going to achieve a great EV from playing each other.

Indy
Old 10-10-2005, 05:52 PM

Irie et al,

Are there any good posts on Heads Up matches? I've searched this site but didnt find anything interesting. Could we start a discussion on strategies or learnings?

Indy
Old 10-10-2005, 08:05 PM

There are some great HU posts. Someday, when I find the time, I'll finish up my own summary of the HU threads I've read. In the meantime, with apologies to the many excellent posters whom I may inadvertantly miss, start by searching for posts on HU play by apathy, blackaces, blarg, curtains, dali, dana33, dead$$$walking, dethgrind, dfscott, djh, drphysic, durron, eastbay, freudian, ilya, irchans, irie, karak, karlson, lacky, lori, pvs, scuba chuck, tminus, valenzuela, and william.

The Shadow
Old 10-10-2005, 08:49 PM

These links will help less for HU STTs. Only recently did I become interested in HU STTs and I have to admit I haven't done an extensive search for applicable material. I'm not sure much exists or should exist. It's a very funky game and very hard to go over hands b/c so much if it is completely contextual.

Yugoslav