Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Help with Pokerroom $2RB Final Table hand

There are 6 players left and I am 4th in chips with 400K after posting the BB. Blinds are 60K/30K.

Big stack is 1.2 million. 2 other stacks are around 850K and 2 others around 300K. Table has had alot of action. 4 players have busted in the last 15 minutes.

Everyone folds to the button who just calls. He has 850K and has been playing very loose. I am dealt 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB.

SB folds and I check. There is 150K in the pot.

Flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Action is to me. What should i have done in this spot?
Old 10-28-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Help with Pokerroom $2RB Final Table hand

you have a double gut shot and middle pair, no kicker, and the slim possibility of a medium flush if you get runner-runner [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You could bet about 75k to see where you're at or check-fold or check-raise. Given the propensity of smaller stacks to bust out fairly quickly and that you're not the shortest stack, I'd recommend check-folding.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:55 AM

You should move all in and take a shot at winning this tournament. You have very few chips and you have a pair which is probably good at this point. You could have moved all in preflop (dependent on pay structure which you don't mention) if you think he would fold without a good hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You could bet about 75k to see where you're at or check-fold or check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB is 60K. The original poster put the BB beofore the SB in the their post.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you have a double gut shot

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true.. he doesn't even have a single gutshot. You need runner-runner for either a straight or a flush.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I shoved and was releived when he called my allin with the flush draw. I was a %55 favorite to win the hand when the money went in, while he was only getting close to even money (he had to call 400K to win 550K).

Of course I had no clue that he was on the flush draw so it was just dumb luck that it turned out that way. Since villian could have such a wide range of hands in that spot I'm wondering if pushing here is generally +EV. And I dont know what kind of analysis I should do to find out.

I entered my hand into pokerstove and it gave me 66% equity vs a random hand (trust me villian has a WIDE range here).

Is that the number I'm looking for or should I add folding equity or anything else I'm missing from the equation?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I entered my hand into pokerstove and it gave me 66% equity vs a random hand (trust me villian has a WIDE range here).

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain didn't fold preflop. He doesn't have a random hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not very familiar with Pokerroom villains, are you? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I substituted random hand to "any suited/broadway/pair" and pokerstove gives me 64% equity. Good push? I dont know exactly what numbers to trust here.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:50 PM

Your range is probably still too big here. Villian gets it folded around to him on the button with a shortish stack in the BB. The flat call tells me villian has something decent that either a) he is hoping you push over the top of him with or b) we wants to see a cheap flop. With 400K I would sometimes even push preflop here with any two and put the villian to a decision for half of his chips, it also sends the msg that he cannot limp into my BB with impunity. Checking is obviously the safer, and more logical play here preflop. On the flop you have hit it pretty hard for your modest hand. I do not think there is a situation here in which I am not open pushing after the sequence that has unfolded. A9-T9, A9s-98s is the feasible range that beats you here with the villian's limp preflop, but you are ahead of any two broadway cards, and looking back again at the preflop limp I like the chances that this is the case. There is 150K in the pot and you have 340K left, I am most definately getting my chips in here and hoping I am ahead.
~Justin